Consensus is basically:

Pixar, if you're not going to blow our minds, then don't even try. No, seriously, don't try; like, don't even release the movie. Just quit and move on to the next one and make sure that blows our minds.

Consensus is this is not Wall-E, Up or Rat, thus instead of 90+%, it's scoring a low 70s. You don't get 90+ just for trying.

The audience rating is 4.2/5 on RT, which is quite good.

I really doubt 53,615 people have already seen it and have all posted a rating on Flixster. That audience rating doesn't really mean anything until at least a week after release. I think they factor in the people who vote "Want to See It" and "Not Interested"

I'm glad audience is looking past what critics are up in arms about. Legs will be long for this one.

Audiences are unbiased for the most part. They rate a movie based on simplistic views such as "Did I like it? Did I not?" They aren't like critics who put movies through, often, unfair criteria such as "What studio are you from? Who is your director? Are you a sequel?"

Moral of the story.. critics aren't always right and audiences, sometimes, do in fact get it right. :o

Of course, they've paid money to see the movie so they may want to "force" themselves to enjoy it. We see it all the time with a lot of subpar superhero movies on their opening weekends.

Not saying Brave will have bad WOM, just that looking at a rating before opening day is even over is way too soon to make a judgment.

Edited by tribefan695

Of course, they've paid money to see the movie so they may want to "force" themselves to enjoy it. We see it all the time with a lot of subpar superhero movies on their opening weekends.

Not saying Brave will have bad WOM, just that looking at a rating before opening day is even over is way too soon to make a judgment.

Are you serious? If a movie is bad, then it is bad. It won't matter how the audience sees it.

Are you serious? If a movie is bad, then it is bad. It won't matter how the audience sees it.

You should've seen Box Office Mojo when Transformers 2 was released. A lot of people were saying "Critics can suck it!" or some similar phrase when it first opened.

It doesn't always happen, but it can.

Edited by tribefan695

72% = "Don't even try"?

I was talking about most of the reviewers bitching about how the story is not as good or as tight as the classic Pixar films, and so woe is them for having to sit through a "subpar Pixar flick but would be good if it was by another studio" movie... Even some of the freshes were like this. So it just sounds like if they watch a Pixar film, they'd better be blown away or else they're gonna think its crap. Which is completely unfair.

Edited by whoot

I was talking about most of the reviewers bitching about how the story id not as good or as tight as the classic Pixar films, and so woe is them for having to sit through a "subpar Pixar flick but would be good if it was by another studio" movie... Even some of the freshes were like this. So it just sounds like if they watch a Pixar film, they'd better be blown away or else they're gonna think its crap. Which is completely unfair.

To be fair, if I hadn't had my expectations tempered by these reviews I probably would've walked in with the same ones they did. Maybe you might have too.

Edited by tribefan695

I was talking about most of the reviewers bitching about how the story is not as good or as tight as the classic Pixar films, and so woe is them for having to sit through a "subpar Pixar flick but would be good if it was by another studio" movie... Even some of the freshes were like this. So it just sounds like if they watch a Pixar film, they'd better be blown away or else they're gonna think its crap. Which is completely unfair.

This. Perfectly said. The RT score is crap.

You should've seen Box Office Mojo when Transformers 2 was released. A lot of people were saying "Critics can suck it!" or some similar phrase when it first opened.

It doesn't always happen, but it can.

Ah, give Pixar some credit. Brave is not the next Transformers. Even if it was Revenge of Fallen grossed 200M 5 day and 400M domestic. Not a bad act to follow.

To be fair, if I hadn't had my expectations tempered by these reviews I probably would've walked in with the same ones they did. Maybe you might have too.

Did you watch it already btw? What'd you think?

If I were a reviewer, yes, I might put "not as good as other Pixar," but if I even thought that if another studio made it that I'd like it, there's no way I'm rating it rotten like quite a few of those rottens did.

Edited by whoot

Ah, give Pixar some credit. Brave is not the next Transformers. Even if it was Revenge of Fallen grossed 200M 5 day and 400M domestic. Not a bad act to follow.

Of course it's not (although Cars 2 came a lot closer than I would've liked). And I'm not even saying Brave will have bad word-of-mouth, in fact it may end up being quite good seeing as it's a pleasant, kid-friendly fairy tale. I just think it's a bit soon to make that determination.

If I were a reviewer, yes, I might put "not as good as other Pixar," but if I even thought that if another studio made it that I'd like it, there's no way I'm rating it rotten like quite a few of those rottens did.

I'm seeing it tomorrow. Guess I should've used a different tense for that sentence.

Again.. this. Whoot is right on the money with his sentiments. It's ok to be underwhelmed by the film if it doesn't live up to the lofty Pixar expectations which is fine and expected. But don't rate it negative if you feel it's better than 70% of all the other animated movies out there that you rated fresh.. wtf? That's not fair at all. If that's the case, say so in your review, but still give it a fresh.

I'm wondering if these kinds of reviews are less about unfairly putting down Brave and more about unfairly stereotyping these other studios, as if they're totally beneath them and whatever output they put out could not possibly be worth recommending, because some of the reviews where I'm seeing this comparison are still pretty brutal in their criticism of Brave.