11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The first 007 film, and still very iconic. It has to be remembered that they wanted to create a franchise (yep, franchises were big from very early on), and much that we associate with 007 is already firmly in place here, so they did a damn good and very confident job: M, Q (not yet played by Desmond Llewelyn), Miss Moneypenny, the cool and easily recognisable title melody, exotic locations, technical gadgets, futuristic architecture (in this case built mostly on a soundstage), the highly intelligent but mentally unstable villain (here played by J.Wiseman - I have to admit I had to look him up, not as memorable as some later Bond villains) and of course the Bond Girl (Ursula Andress, didn't have to look her up) and Sean Connery who is still "the" Bond in my eyes, even if it was already Roger Moore when I grew up - but by then 007 had already become very formulaic and even a bit of self-satire. While there were always some laughs to be had in a 007 film, the early Bonds also had a sense of real danger ans tension that was often missing from later entries.

Ursula Andress can't act (who cares, right?) but that's about the only thing that is wrong with this movie. It takes its time to build up everything, never afraid to give us a longer shot instead of hurrying things up which results in a suspenseful and exciting (even if the final fight is short) climax. Sean Connery is Bond and every time that theme kicks in, I get goose bumps :D

9/10

Ursula Andress can't act (who cares, right?) but that's about the only thing that is wrong with this movie. It takes its time to build up everything, never afraid to give us a longer shot instead of hurrying things up which results in a suspenseful and exciting (even if the final fight is short) climax. Sean Connery is Bond and every time that theme kicks in, I get goose bumps :D

9/10

Was it on tonight ? 

I was watching basketball ( red star lost - fuck ! ) I missed it