Dementeleus

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Fantastic stuff until it jumps to 15 years later. The social inheritance angle was interesting, but didn't ring true imo. Overall very good, but not as good as Cianfrance's first film Blue Valentine.

8/10

Btw, "If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder" is a damn good line.
  • Like 1

Surprisingly enough, the movie didn't click with me until Cooper killed Gosling, second and third acts are 10-15 minutes too long yes, but they are still better than when Gosling was leading the movie.  

I'm liking Gosling less and less each role I see him in, he's playing the same persona over and over again.

The coincidences at the end didn't bother me because it wasn't meant to be taken at face value.

One of the aspects that got underlooked in most reviews I read was the score, it's very haunting, that + gorgeous cinematography makes this low-key drama quite epic. 80/100, maybe 75/100

Edited by Goffe