Penguins of Madagascar (2014)

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Penguins of Madagascar was pretty good. I liked it as much as Madagascar 3.

It was great to get a movie focused on the Penguins since I never caught the show. Loved the March of the Penguins opening, even though I knew it was coming. Private gets some nice development and it was pretty much his movie, and about how even unappreciated people can have a purpose. There were a few nice action scenes and I found the movie to be fun.

Stay for the credits, there is an extra scene in the middle of the ending credits which I thought was pretty important. Not sure why they just didn't end the movie with it.

I was given a Penguins of Madagascar poster and a card with code to download the Penguins Christmas Album after purchasing my ticket. It must have been some kind of promotion from DWA. Great gifts for going on the first day! :D

I give the movie a 8/10 or B+.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

This movie was exactly what I expected.

Much like a Transfromers movie I did not expect a movie with a deeper meaning... I expected to be entertained.

And I was.  Non-stop action and a lot of one-liners... some hit and some missed.  But the missed jokes don't really matter because they are on to the next one pretty quick.

Just like Madagascar 3 there were a lot of references to other movies and there is a running 'actor name' gag that took me halfway through the movie before I figured it out.

The Herzog documentary gag at the beginning had me rolling because I had just seen 'The March of the Penguins' not to long ago. 

If you don't like the the Penguins of Madagascar TV show you likely won't like this because it really was just the TV show on steroids. 

Even though I likely can't fit it into my holiday schedule I'd have no problem paying to see this again in theaters... that means it gets an A from me although its on the A- and pretty close to a B.

After the movie our theater got a cinemascore survey... my first.

• Like 2

The opening sequence was absolutely wonderful... The rest of the film not so much. Skipper is the only good character in the entire film.One of the penguins all he does is eat stuff, the other one really doesn't do anything, now private had a few moments where he seemed like he might have some development but instead the film just chooses to bash into our brains that he is the low man on the totem pole. North Wind or whatever served no purpose in the film and Cumberbatch as the Wolf was actually really annoying. Near the end of then film there was a moment where I latterly said our loud “What the Hell am I watching?"

The ending actually did find some good emotional connection so ilk say C+ better than the last two Madagascar films.

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1