baumer

A Nightmare Before Christmas

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The thing that I love the most about this movie is that despite the gothic atmosphere and the spooky character character designs it remains a simple engrossing fairy tale till the end. It never tries to be dark or edgy for the sake of it and that's the reason it went from a "not worthy of the Disney logo" animation to bonafide classic (all that merchandise money also helped Disney reconsider).

The other great part about this is movie is the amazing soundtrack. This is Halloween is obv the most famous and it's great, but I love the song when Jack discovers Christmastown even more. The whole sequence is so full of joy.

One thing I am curious about is if the movie in America is considered more of a Halloween or a Christmas classic. In my country we don't celebrate Halloween so it's pretty much widely known as a classic Christmas movie.

• Like 1

Elfman's singing is quite engrossing by itself and the production design is marvelous, but that's about it. 

Final song is not earned since Sally and Jack barely had a relationship, climax is boring and by-the-numbers af, story is as weak as they come, and the stop motion is distractingly bad, the voice performances rarely match the model's movements perfectly like they do in other sm films. 35/100

• Like 1

The Nightmare Before Christmas really shouldn't be a movie. The plot is super thin and stretched as far as it can possibly go. There's so much time-killing filler in this movie that it would've better off as a 40-minute special. A 75-minute film shouldn't have so many dull spots, and this due to the weak characters and mediocre plot. That said, the music is consistently excellent and the animation matches it. It's definitely a memorable film, although oddly, I wouldn't say it fits into either of its holidays; it's its own beast, which is possibly why I'm so forgiving of its many flaws. The Nightmare Before Christmas is a just okay movie with excellent music and animation, which is disappointing seeing how much better it could be. C+