baumer

Orca the Killer Whale (1977)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ive been dying top see this for years, adn late last night I saw it was added to my Epix on Demand. My night was then extended.

The movie? Jaws ripoff forsure, but it was fun and worth watching. Extremely cheesy, maybe has the most under devolved characters ever, but Killer Whales are favorite animals so I was entertained. The ending on the Ice was epic.

I laugh at how its night time, it will cut to the Orca swimming under water in the day time. 

Charlotte Rampling was banging back then too!

C-

Orca is better than your average horror film. It's not a masterpiece , but it offers considerable depth in terms of human values and those values that apply to nature. The Killer whale simply takes revenge against the man(Captain Nolan) Richard Harris, who accidentally killed his mate and aborted fetus. His personal vendetta is taken to great lengths as he prods Nolan into a duel by wreaking havoc on the poor village, thus incensing the townspeople to have the matter absolved. Poor (Nolan) Harris you know that in the look on his dissipated face from the moment he heard the female whale's shriek that he was destined for demise. And we even sympathize with him. Although ignorant and callous he still evokes enough charm and humility to espouse our curiosity. However, our initial sympathy is directed towards the Orca, because of his tragic loss due to man's greed and ignorance. And the funeral scene is probably the most touching and allegoric animal scene ever filmed since 'Old Yeller'. It's sad, beautiful, and eerie. But unfortunately Orca has no forgiveness in his aquatic heart and as Nolan progressively shows more remorse and guilt due to the causation of his action, Orca persists in terrorizing and confronting his enemy. I was hoping for a more peaceful resolution, but this film takes the darker journey. Orca should not be labeled as a Jaws ripoff at all. The reason people say that is because it took place in the same era. "Orca" emotes more sympathy and personifies the strife between beast and man, resulting from our injustice toward beast. It expresses the values we consider for nature and creates a hierarchal balance on how we judge man and beast. Unfortunately, the characters are not very likable. It's an admiral film that attempts to promote human feelings and sadness in a film that could have easily fallen into the "Nature goes amok" genre, e.g "Grizzly", "The Day of the Animals", "Prophecy", etc. Kudos to Richard Harris for bringing deeper dimensions to his character that could have easily been played on a one- note by a less experienced actor. Harris brings forth his anguish, guilt, personal pain and fears in a role that enhanced the meaning of the film.

8/10