The Road (2009)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This could've been a good movie If it had any idea where it was heading. There were some obvious problems with the movie, the biggest one, for me at least, was that the story lacked depth, even though it tried being emotionally.

The performances are pretty good, but I still think that the wrong actors had been cast for each role, especially the boy, which brings me back to the script by mentioning that he was poorly written and was pretty... stupid. I mean even when they were shot at, he still was like 'No, dad, don't kill the man that tries to kill you. Give him food instead.'

Yeah, the story had no idea where it was heading. They were heading south... for the coast. What the fuck were they supposed to find there? Nothing, that's right. They got there only to get robbed so that the father could teach his son a lesson about what he should and shouldn't do, and EVEN then, that boy is still stupid as a tree because he ignores his fathers word and yells at him that they have to worry for other people... The other people are jackasses.

Also, another problem I had with the movie was that they added scenes just for the sake of getting it to 111 minutes and 20 seconds (Yes, I was THAT bored that I did the math). Well, maybe they weren't that pointless but it was ridiculous in how much trouble they managed to from the beginning since the end. I mean, they killed a man, they found one drifter, they got robbed, they were shot at, then they found slaves inside a cellar that were held there because they were eaten, then they found a fucking bunker with food for weeks.

Yeah, in the first few minutes of the movie they already used one of the two bullets they had. Those two bullets lasted them a few months (Judging from his beard), so I guess they didn't go into deep shit and they were doing the same thing: heading south the whole time. But when the movie starts, shits happening everywhere.

Also, it's never explained what made the world what it was, which bothered me because the premise was set on that. The story told in flashbacks (The one with his wife) had one of the most pointless scenes EVER (I'll tell you here. They were in a theater, and the father gets bored so what does he do... Oh yeah, slid his hand between his wife's legs. DAFUQ). Yeah, the other scenes including her were pretty well handled but her departure was so... simple. Nothing happened. It wasn't even sad. It was just like that. Bye and she's gone. They tried to make it sad through the narration but that kinda failed.

Instead of blabbering on with the countless problems of the movie, I'll just skip ahead to the score part.

B-

• Like 1

A very well made film.  A well acted film. Directed beautifully.  And it's a film that I'll never see again and one that I pretty much hated.  It's perhaps the most depressing film I've ever seen.

6.5/10