baumer

Solaris (1972)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

"Don't turn a scientific problem into a common love story."

It's somewhat common practice for one to feel unworthy to aptly comment on cinema classics, but this is pretty damn ridiculous.  What we have here is a film that muses over what it means to be human, and how that humanity co-exists in the science fiction realm.  The subject matter alone can overwhelm the viewer at times.  As such, I will merely try to convey the impact last night's viewing had on me.

While I am in dire need of a re-watch of Kubrick's 2001, I can't help but think that the two make fantastic companion pieces with one another.  While 2001 approaches its material with big conceptual ideas, Solaris grounds science fiction in humanity.  I'm not sure I've seen a film like this before, but what ultimately comes out is an affecting, emotionally resonant piece of superior science fiction cinema.

The entire story centers on Kris Kelvin, and in many ways he serves as the human case study for the film.  At the outset he is warned about seeing "others" and the effect it may have on him.  And yet, as is aptly shown, Kris is only human.  When he first sees his deceased wife in his quarters, he can't help but succumb to a kiss.  We can know that something is not real, but our perceptions and emotions are powerful.  Perception is reality, after all.

Perhaps my favorite character in the film is that of scientist Sartorius, and more specifically his reaction to the phenomenon.  Sartorious sees the apparitions as mere distractions and is searching for intelligent life.  And yet, I can't help but feel his character misses the point.  The apparitions, and more specifically their effect on human behavior, is very much science fiction.  Two different but ultimately intelligent celestial bodies reacting to one another.  

I'm still just beginning to wrap my head around the impact of that last shot, but what a way to go out!  The last shot alone serves as simultaneously a celebration and condemnation of humanity.  Kris's connection with his wife was so strong that he stayed on the damn island in hopes of re-living their glory.  It would be quite easy to say that humanity got the best of him, but as explained above, perhaps this was science fiction all along masquerading as a study on humanity.

Towering cinema that I can't wait to watch over and over again.