The47th

'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' film adaptation

Warner just announced minutes ago the prodution of a series of films set to expand the Harry Potter universe by relating the stories of Newt Scamander, the author of one the textbooks used by students from first year at Hogwarts, 'Fantastic Creatures and Where to Find Them.'

I wanted to open a separate thread, so we can leave the box office predictions for the other forum.

Rowling's quote from the press release already gives an idea of the story: 

“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

I think it's a fantastic way to expand the universe without relaying to much on the original story. And since this is set to be an official part of the story, I'm really glad Rowling is involved.

And who knows, maybe this will open the door for new books, independent from the Harry Potter storyline.

Edited by The47th
  • Like 1

Berger on Wednesday also touted the planned Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, based on the J.K. Rowling book of the same name. The film is set to be released in Nov. 2016 and is expected to be followed by further movies. Fantastic Beasts is set in 1920s New York and features U.S. and British wizards, he told his audience, but didn't discuss the status of the script.

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/fantastic-beasts-movie-confirmed-to-feature-u-s-british-wizards-wb-uk-president-97829/ the link is here sorry

Posted Image

Fans know that the world of Harry Potter will return to the screen when J. K. Rowling adapts her book, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” as a movie. If you are wondering what the mythical creatures might look like, head to the Magical Menagerie shop in Diagon Alley and peer up at the overhead shelves. Gilmore says that some of the strange looking animals represent the first time that the beasts have been visualized. “It will give visitors a peek at the next wave of Harry Potter.”
Also on the topic of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Hollywood Reporter says the film is aiming to shoot at Leavesden Studios outside of London. This makes sense as that’s where all the previous Harry Potter films shot, plus the area is currently being expanded and upgraded.

It’s scheduled for a November 2016 release but no director is attached yet.