Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

49 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Boring, something that even Chamber of Secrets avoided, for the most part. Of course more room meant including moments that had no reason to be there, passages that amount next to nothing.

It could, should have been one movie. Make it 3 hours long if necessary. Adaptations shouldn't be about translating what is on the page, it should be about taking the essence and making a film around it.

Not the worst Potter, too well made for that, some sequences are genuinely exciting (the wedding, the Ministry infiltration, ending), but it's certainly the one people will remember the least, rightfully so.

Edited by Goffe

"Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook."

I cringed so much when Hermione said that. SS level of acting by Watson there.

Edited by Goffe

This movie had a fair share of negativity even before it came out because of the split in two parts, there is the argument that they could do a 3 hour epic movie etc. but in the end it's one of the best in the series because for the first time since Azkaban the story has room to breathe and characters time to just be themselves. The camping in the woods which is the part of the book that I agree feels a little wandering and momentum halting, works perfectly here. After 3 movies of running through endless plot it's refreshing to see them cut off from the world together, and all of the 3 actors are at their best in those scenes. It also handles very gracefully the change of tones and goes without effort from the spy movie infiltration at the ministry to Godric's Hollows that is it's own little horror movie to Harry and Ermione dancing in the tent to the striking animation of the Three Brothers tale. For me it's the best we'll ever get from the guy that WB and Rowling want to direct all their HP-verse movies till the end of time.

The only flaw is that it doesn't have an ending, which duh, but it's still a problem. Even if Doby was featured more in previous movies it still wouldn't feel right. Maybe including the Gringots escape and ending as the heroes head to Hogwarts would be a better ending. But then the last movie would be less than 90 min long.

A-.