Plain Old Tele

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)   

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The film that brings Jackie Chan and Jet Li together, this is one of my favorite films! I saw this on my birthday in sixth grade, without ever seeing a Jackie Chan or Jet Li film beforehand! it had great fight scenes and humor, this was one of the best films of 2008.

Maybe it's not high art, but I really like it - this is nearly an A for me. It's tons of fun, it's colourful, it's got pretty ladies and mean men and cool fights and of course Jackie Chan & Jet Li. The only drawback here is the formulaic, very by-the-numbers storyline, offering few surprises and little excitement. Still very rewatchable!

I popped in my DVD of this recently. It's still solid entertainment value. The fight sequences are flawless. The Jackie Chan/Jet Li sequence is all you could really ask for out of such a fight. The production values are top notch. Story is standard issue, but it didn't bother me. Dialogue was weak. The white American karate nerd in an alternate mystical universe version of China constantly making references from his own world as if the others know what the hell he's talking about was epically cringeworthy.

7.5/10

Edited by Jay Beezy