baumer

Masculin Feminin (1966)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm guessing it's about this rich privileged girl, who thinks she loves this poor farm boy, but it's really the bad boy that she loves. So the farm boy runs off with this little blue trash can to seek advice and training from an old Budhist. Meanwhile the rich girl's father doesn't approve and chases her, the bad boy, his dog and their gay blonde friend.

I'm guessing it's about this rich privileged girl, who thinks she loves this poor farm boy, but it's really the bad boy that she loves. So the farm boy runs off with this little blue trash can to seek advice and training from an old Budhist. Meanwhile the rich girl's father doesn't approve and chases her, the bad boy, his dog and their gay blonde friend.

With Masculin féminin, ruthless stylist and iconoclast Jean-Luc Godard introduces the world to “the children of Marx and Coca-Cola,” through a gang of restless youths engaged in hopeless love affairs with music, revolution, and each other.

not quite

but nice try

Edited by lisa

idealism and pop culture face off and then explode in godard's typical scatterbrain styling. the more i see of him, the more i tend to agree with herzog's assertion that he is nothing more than intellectual counterfeit money, however viewed from the outside his films are endlessly fascinating. some troubling representation of gender in this one.

C+ (55)

Well, no one except Godard could have ever made this movie. For what it's worth it's one of his more entertaining ones, but there's also not much to it in the end - a clear result of Godard making three movies a year at that time. An anxious and restless piece of work that rarely allows itself to stop and think and focus.