Beleg Strongbow

Let's talk about DOS.

This particular franchise's forum is pretty quiet, from what I've seen. So...

How are you feeling about DOS right now, based off of everything we've seen with trailers, TV spots, etc.? (I wouldn't be mad if this didn't evolve into a Tauriel debate.) Just a general question about what's going through your head right now.

How do you see the Dol Guldur storyline being handled in this film?

Where in the story do you think the movie will end?

Any thoughts connecting this back to LOTR?

Thoughts on AUJ are more than welcome, too. Heck, I'll talk about Children of Húrin, which I'm reading right now. Anything is on the table.

It's strange to see a movie site with such a quiet Middle-earth franchise forum. I've seen several people on the main BO DOS topic, so I know there are Tolkien fans here. (I feel like Tom Bombadil calling back Tolkien fans to this forum, lol.)

Before trailers I had the feeling we would see the Dol Guldur battle in DOS. But after seeing them (overall the last), I think we will see just how that battle is getting ready and we would have to wait to see the battle until TABA. The trailer shows an army going forward, but there is no fight (unless a not expected new trailer show it). Elves will have much more leadership than in the book because the inclusion of Legolas and Tauriel. And we see in trailer how something destroys a building in Dale: it can be an orc attack headed by Azog or the Smaug attack, so we could see how

Smaug is defeated in this movie

. Even, in the scene where Thorin faces Bilbo,

Thorin is already inside of Erebor, so dwarves could already be entrenched in Erebor, what would mean Smaug is already dead.

Haha nice to see you again, peludo. Glad to have another Tolkien fan hear to speak with.

Interesting points that you make. Your last spoiler hadn't crossed my mind yet, but I think you're correct. I also think that the actual battle will be in TABA. I wonder if TABA's structure will resemble ROTK, with

Dol Guldur being a much shorter version of Minas Tirith/Pelennor (with a lot of build up with the White Council), and the BoFA being similar to the Black Gate.

Actually, I think time-wise that ROTK and TABA's battles will be switched, if that makes sense. Dol Guldur will take as much screen time as the Black Gate, and the BoFA will have the same as Minas Tirith/Pelennor. I guess, in a sense, they could be mirror images of each other.

I had imagined the movie in other way: DOS would have as climax the Dol Guldur battle and maybe it would finish with Smaug planning to attack Dale. In the third we would see how Smaug attacks Dale and is killed by Bard, and then the gestation and development of BoFA. At the end we would see the return of Bilbo and how Sauron comes back to Mordor, linking with FOTR.

But to have those 2 battles in the third movie can make TABA a movie as epic as ROTK. In other way, I just had thought that they would like to exploit Smaug in TABA too. It seems that its appearance will be limited to DOS. Anyway, I am really curious about what we will see in these 2 movies. It is different to LOTR, given we knew exactly what we would see. Adding new characters like Tauriel and Legolas and plots beyond Hobbit book makes this wait more interesting.

I'm curious about how they'll handle the buildup and Dol Guldor story without losing momentum from the primary Bilbo/Dwarves adventure. They also need a way to have a good, satisfying dramatic conclusion -- I'm not sure Smaug about to attack works in that regard.

One of the drawbacks of splitting the story in three is that part 1 inevitably feels like FOTR-lite: the characters follow almost exactly the same path and face the same sort of obstacles. Fortunately, DOS and TADA should feel different from TTT and ROTK (if they don't, PJ screwed up).

I'm curious about how they'll handle the buildup and Dol Guldor story without losing momentum from the primary Bilbo/Dwarves adventure. They also need a way to have a good, satisfying dramatic conclusion -- I'm not sure Smaug about to attack works in that regard.

One of the drawbacks of splitting the story in three is that part 1 inevitably feels like FOTR-lite: the characters follow almost exactly the same path and face the same sort of obstacles. Fortunately, DOS and TADA should feel different from TTT and ROTK (if they don't, PJ screwed up).

Especially since PJ hasn't used cliffhangers with the previous films. It's always a resolved conflict, with a hint of a greater danger/threat to come. 

Agreed that DOS and TABA should be quite different. We'll be in northern Middle-earth, so I'm eager to see the new cultures we haven't seen yet in the film-verse.

Especially since PJ hasn't used cliffhangers with the previous films. It's always a resolved conflict, with a hint of a greater danger/threat to come. 

Agreed that DOS and TABA should be quite different. We'll be in northern Middle-earth, so I'm eager to see the new cultures we haven't seen yet in the film-verse.

As I typed my post, I realized it's actually possible for DOS to have a TTT-esque ending (and TABA to get the ROTK-treatment).

DOS: Smaug's dead, but a greater danger lurks in Dol Guldor (same as Saruman getting defeated but Sauron waiting in TTT, with the Battle of Laketown standing in for Helm's Deep). I hope it doesn't shape up quite like this.

As I typed my post, I realized it's actually possible for DOS to have a TTT-esque ending (and TABA to get the ROTK-treatment).

DOS: Smaug's dead, but a greater danger lurks in Dol Guldor (same as Saruman getting defeated but Sauron waiting in TTT, with the Battle of Laketown standing in for Helm's Deep). I hope it doesn't shape up quite like this.

The execution of killing of Smaug in DOS is very difficult. I suppose it's all down to pacing. I seem to remember PJ saying something during the live sneak peek about the Barrels sequence taking place within the first hour of the film. To me, that means that the Mirkwood sequence will be much shorter than previously thought (Beorn's may be shorter, too). Perhaps we'll get a decent amount of time with Smaug, after all. Then killing him at the end of the film won't seem as rushed.

Btw, I saw a rumor on theonering about a possible running time being 2:55 (it was someone from Norway, where advance tickets have already gone on sale). They claimed that their ticket said a start/end time.

Not a rumor we should run with as a fact (yet), but hey, it's better than nothing.

I miss DOS. Windows just isn't the same.

I am looking forward to the movie as well.

I actually thought that this thread was about DOS when I saw it on the view new posts before, until I saw where this thread is.