chasmmi

The Top 100 Movie Characters - Results (Results are in)

94: Chunk – Jeff Cohen, The Goonies

(16pts and 3 votes)

Child actors are normally the bane of a movie. The part where even the most awesome film can come crashing down as a crowd of people collecting wish that somebody would just put a bullet in the kid screeching away on screen and let the adults get back to work. Chunk is one of a very select group of child characters to make the list. The Goonies was the only non-TV movie Cohen ever appeared in and as such is the only actor in this list with a 100% success rate of roles to appearances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpf3OuCl6HU

93: Spiderman – Tobey Maguire, Spiderman 1-3

(17pts and 2 votes)

What would the Hollywood film landscape today look like if Spiderman had been a failure back in 2002? I remember growing up in the era between the fall of Batman and the rise of marvel about how every new attempt at the Comic book genre was going to be the next big comic book film. X-Men may have been big in 2000, but for me, the true modern day superhero was born when Toby Maguire first donned a home-made knitted spider balaclava and wrestled the Macho Man.

• Like 5

92: Remy – Petton Oswalt, Ratatouille,

(17pts and 3 votes)

At a time when Pixar seemingly could do no wrong, there was a rat who dreamed of being a chef. In Brad Bird’s follow up to the universally loved Incredibles, Remy had the unenviable task of trying to match the superhero family in the character lovability stakes and judging by the votes cast, it was mission completed as Remy sits in a proud 92nd place compared to the highest placed Incredible (Mr.) at a lowly joint 234th. The argument over which is the better film may rage on into the night, but whatever side of the divide you fall, it cannot be denied that people really do love that rat,

91: Mulan – Ming Na, Mulan,

(17pts and 3 votes)

Currently starring in S.H.I.E.L.D as the Asian character who can’t possibly be 50 years old, Ming-Na turned to voice acting in 1998 for Disney’s: Mulan. The tale of a Chinese girl who secretly joins the army, Mulan came at the end of the Disney Renaissance period and could arguably be considered their final decent in-house animated film until Tangled. A surprise winner of the highest-placed Disney Princess? That’s for others to decide.

• Like 7

Yes, Loki didn't make my list either but I too am glad to see him here.  

Glad to see Brody also.  I had him higher of course, but he's here, so that's great.

Brody is a great character. Only Jaws character that made my list.

• Like 1

90: Andy Dufresne – Tim Robbins, Shawshank Redemption,

(17pts and 4 votes)

The second half of the Andy and Red bromance and there’s very little to add that hasn’t already been said with Morgan’s entry. The (non-sexual) chemistry between the two actors was undeniable and it’s a shame to separate them even if it is by just a few places. I’m sure many would argue that Red should be above Andy (I may be one of them) but at the end of the day both performances deserve their place and it hopefully bodes well for what lies ahead. Or does it…

89: Agent Smith – Hugo Weaving, Matrix 1-3,

(17pts and 4 votes)

The first Matrix film revolutionized special effects as we know them today. The first bullet time scenes are as jaw dropping today as they were on Premiere. However, it is generally accepted that the Matrix sequels were a pale imitation of the original and perhaps the reputation of both the original film and its actors suffered accordingly. The one exception to this was Agent Smith who on top of a great performance in the first film was given room to develop and evolve as characters such as Morpheus and Trinity stagnated. He also put on one hell of a fight scene or three.

• Like 5

88: Gromit – Alumpof Clay, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-rabbit

(18pts and 1 votes)

One of only three characters to make the list of the back of one high placed vote, esteemed Russian voice-actor: Alumpof Clay puts on a tour-de-force performance as the Wallace’s ever-loyal sidekick Gromit the dog. Delving into decades of experience in his homeland in animated productions such as ‘The Silent Librarian’ and ‘Hush!! The Revolution Approaches’, Comrade Clay is quite possibly the greatest silent voice actor in history.

87: Gru – Steve Carrell, Despicable Me 1+2 

(18pts and 2 votes)

Keeping up animations’ strong showing in the list so far, we have Gru; the super-villain turned good guy charged with looking after three lovely orphan girls. Despite the undeniable cuteness of the minions (who themselves placed 102nd in the poll) it is Gru that voters have taken to their hearts with his warm heart and crooked nose. Steve Carrell shows great comic timing and interesting accent to bring to life a character that spends a fair amount of time communicating with a bunch of insane squeaky yellow things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfdHGwImszc

• Like 3

86: George Bailey – Jimmy Stewart, It’s a Wonderful Life 

(18pts and 3 votes)

And at 86 we get our first (but not last) foray into the world of Black and White and the classic: It’s a Wonderful Life. Maybe considered to be the ultimate feel-good movie and even with 17,428 Hitchcock films under his belt, probably Stewart’s defining role as an actor.

85: Lloyd Christmas – Jim Carrey, Dumb and Dumber 

(18pts and 3 votes)

And from one Jim to another as we move on from the haywire over the top antics of Stewart to the more subtle method acting approach of Carrey   (although I may have got that the wrong way round). Jim Carrey charmed audiences in 1994 with his role opposite Jeff Daniels in the Farrelly Brothers’ cinematic debut. Before his transferal to straighter acting roles, Carrey was one of the most bankable comedians in Hollywood and his break out year gave us a string of characters still fondly remembered today.

Oh… and speaking of which…

• Like 3