chasmmi

The Top 100 Movie Characters - Results (Results are in)

Wow, this is actually happening?

This means it should be kicking off at about 7pm EST and 4pm PST (California time).

Yep everything is written, its just a case of the capy/pasting not hitting any hiccups. :)

(so 5pm  was correct for some part of the USA then)

Yep everything is written, its just a case of the capy/pasting not hitting any hiccups. :)

(so 5pm  was correct for some part of the USA then)

Sure, it's 5pm somewhere in the US and Canada.  :)

Oh I'm excited.  Didn't know this was I thing, I would have made a list.  How many people submitted?

I got about 13 or 14 lists in total which I was pretty happy about considering I haven't done of these lists before and nobody knows if I'll do a decent job of things or not

• Like 2

Submitting a list for 100 characters is a lot of work for us, those submitting them.

Going through those lists and making the top 100 is a monumental task for Chas.

• Like 3

I got about 13 or 14 lists in total which I was pretty happy about considering I haven't done of these lists before and nobody knows if I'll do a decent job of things or not

13 or 14 list is a pretty good number. Oh, and don't worry about it, I think you will do a good job with this. ^_^

Top 100 Characters

Well it’s been a long road and thanks to votes for a total of 555 different characters, we now have an official top 100… well Actually top 101. With 8 characters all tied on the same number of points and number of votes, it seemed cruel to ignore 101st based purely on lowest top ranking given.

For this reason we will begin our rundown at 101 and a character that ironically may make lower placed folk green with envy…

101: BRUCE BANNER / THE HULK – Mark Ruffalo, The Avengers (16pts and 3 votes)

It’s almost poetic that a character that should technically never have been also never technically made the top 100. Of course it was always the plan for Hulk to be in the Avengers, but it should have been Ed Norton, not Ruffalo (and judging by the 0 points won by Norton for his portrayal, it very much seems like the reason for Hulk’s popularity in The Avengers was all Ruffalo (and maybe a little Whedon).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPYUXiaxp

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 6

100: LOKI – Tom Hiddlestone, Thor, The Avengers

(16pts and 3 votes)

Don’t worry folks, it ain’t gonna be all Avengers. However, say what you want about the Marvel Universe Franchise, it appears they got their casting decisions spot on. Loki’s role in the first Thor movie was a great example of troubled villain; the bad guy you hoped would come good and will probably still be hoping will come good 2, 3 or 6 films later on. Like Ruffalo above, it’s a great example of how it can sometimes work out to choose good actors over big names even in big budget roles.

99: Sarah Conner – Linda Hamilton, Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day

(16pts and 3 votes)

The first woman in our top 101 and one of the original ‘strong, powerful and independent women’ that Hollywood tries so hard to replicate these days its turned into a bad cliché. There’s a big difference with Sarah Connor and many of the heroines of today though and that is reality: Sarah Connor is real, she feels like a real person trying to keep herself and her son alive. She’s not just another supermodel who knows how to karate kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb491wGAslI

• Like 5

98: Agent J – Will Smith, Men in Black 1, 2 and 3

(16pts and 3 votes)

Independence Day may have made Will Smith a star, but Agent J made sure that he would not be a flash in a pan. Working a perfect double act alongside Tommy Lee Jones’ straight man Agent K, Men In Black Remains one of the biggest grossing comedies of all time and despite a less than well received second outing, the strong performance of part 3 suggests we may not have seen the last of Agent J.

97: Martin Brody – Roy Scheider, Jaws

(16pts and 3 votes)

Putting aside the hilarious image created by accidently typing Rob Schneider first time around, Martin Brody is probably responsible for one of the most iconic lines in film history. Spending half the film either on a small boat (and a bit later on of course a bigger boat) or fighting a malfunctioning animatronic shark, Jaws could have easily become one of the most laughed at horror attempts of the 70’s. However a blend of great acting and direction allowed for it to become a classic and allowed Scheider a place in this top 101 (which thankfully his almost namesake did not achieve).

• Like 4

96: Tony Montana – Al Pacino, Scarface

(16pts and 3 votes)

Back when series gangster fare was in fashion, Al Pacino was one of the go-to guys in Hollywood for the roles this genre created. Apparently based on a 1932 film of the same name Scarface is the story of how Montana leaves his homeland of Cuba to become a big time drug lord in the US. The character has been paid homage to and parodied in pop culture in everything from Hitman to South Park.

95: Ellis Boyd ‘Red’ Redding – Morgan Freeman, The Shawshank Redemption

(16pts and 3 votes)

Is there a more perfect actor for this kind of role than Freeman? Considered one of the greatest films of all time, Shawshank’s greatness stood firmly on the shoulders of its two leads and the amazing performances they gave. Some people may argue that watching a 3 hour prison drama is not an entertaining way to pass the time. Those people have never seen Shawshank Redemption.

• Like 5