grim22

Box Office Fact or Fiction: Week 6 w/ CJohn, Jay and MGS. Jack Ryan, Golden Globes, Boba Fett & more

Poll 1/17  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who answered better for the week of 1/17

• CJohn
    • MGS
    • Jay Hollywood

Welcome to the sixth edition of "Box Office Fact or Fiction". A feature where members of the Box Office forums are asked for their opinions on all things movies. 3 months down and still going strong, didn't think I would keep doing this continuously  :D 

First, the winner from last time, please put your hands together for 4815162342 who blew away the competition and won by a handy margin. Congratulations, you win a BILLION internet points

Please welcome the three contributors for this week's edition:

He is a well liked moderator, some people say his profile pictures are not of Leo Dicaprio - that is just how he looks, from Portugal, CJohn

He is the premier Anna Kendrick fan, and may or may not hail from Scranton, Michael Gary Scott

And from Hollywood by way of Irvine, a future movie mogul, Jay Hollywood

Let's get it started.

1. Jack Ryan will open number 1 over the 4 day weekend

Posted Image

Jay: FICTION  I wish, but I have to go with Ride Along. 

MGS: FICTION Jack Ryan marketing hasn't been very good and even though I think ride along looks horrible it will do well. 

CJohn: FICTION Marketing has been very generic, and in a world with epic spy movies like Skyfall, I don't see how this can perform very well. Jack Reacher did 80M with Christmas holidays and Tom Cruise. Jack Ryan should do much less and it will be under Lone Survivor and Ride Along over the weekend.

1 of 1

2. The winners of the acting awards at the Golden Globes were along expected lines

Posted Image

Jay: FACT  100% Expected, I knew J-Law would win, but I was hoping she woundn't because I thought she was the worst in American Hustle. (I LOVE HER still, please don't hate on me)

MGS: FICTION The acting winners were definitely a surprise. First off when does Amy Adams ever win anything so I didn't expect that. 

CJohn: FACT Easy to see they were going to win. Maybe Amy Adams was the more surprising, but still it was easy to see it happening. JLaw, DiCaprio, McConaughey, Blanchett and Leto were locks.

1 of 2. JLaw fans won't be happy with Jay, and Amy Adams fans won't be happy with MGS

3. Shia Labeouf is an idiot

Posted Image

Jay: FACT  Yes, but I actually really like him as an actor, I think he is extremely talented. But a Douche none the less. 

MGS: FACT He is a douche and while he has talent, that gives no person permission to be a douche. If he never makes another movie again it will make me happy. He had everything at his feet and he threw it away.

CJohn: FACT  Because he does all this retiring from public life, quiting from blockbusters crap and doing everything a director wants and even more (some rumors LaDouche is doing some extreme stuff in that Pitt war movie they are filming and it is upseting everyone) to get attention. He is a good actor, but he needs to get his shit together.

2 of 3

SWITCH!!!!

Posted Image

4. "Night at the Museum 3" moving ahead one week to go head to head with Hobbit 3 is a good move for the movie

MGS: FICTION This move doesn't make since to me. They are basically going after the family audience and Hobbit will be seen as more of an event film than NATM. NATM 2 did very well but it didnt have the competition of The Hobbit in its same weekend. 

CJohn: FICTION  This one of the most stupid moves ever. I am not sure what FOX is trying to accomplish here but they will fail. December 25 was a better release date. In the end either Hobbit crushes NatM or both end up with disappointing OW.

Jay: FICTION  I honestly don't think it matter to much because I think this movie is gonna act like the Hangover 3 of the franchise. I think it gets lost in the shuffle. Its so 5 years ago. 

3 of 4

5. You would like to see a stand-alone Boba Fett movie

Posted Image

MGS: FACT. I'm in the minority on this but the more star wars films the better. A year ago I thought id never get another new star wars film again so I will take as many as I can. Boba Fett is a classic character and with the right director I feel a great Boba Fett film can be made. 

CJohn: FICTION  No. Just no. I am very excited with the new trilogy, but the spin-offs sound like overkill.

Jay: FUCK NO!!!

3 of 5. Jay is a man of few words

6. "I, Frankenstein" will surprise everyone with a decent box office run

MGS: FACT. I'm only saying fact because if Hansel and Gretel can do well and get a sequel this should be able to maintain 100-200 WW and end up decent. You also cant discount the BO draw Miranda Otto.

CJohn: FACT  Prepare for I Frankenstein 2 in January 2016. Numbers in America should be decent (50M DOM total, the first Underworld did that 10 years ago, with inflation, 3D and IMAX won't be very hard for Frankenstein to also do it), and add in another 120-140M from OS. 

Jay: FACT I think it will do about 160m WW if that's considered decent. I'd say expected. 200m+ plus would would be a surprise which I find to be the more important aspect of the question

4 of 6

SWITCH #2

Posted Image

7. Season 3 of Sherlock met all expectations you had from it

Posted Image

CJohn: Not sure honestly. 

The lack of a decent explanation on how Sherlock survived shows that they never planned a way to explain it in the first place. And I fear the same will happen with Moriarty in the next season. Hopefully they correct that when both of them meet. But episodes 2 and 3 were very good and prove yet again why Sherlock is such a great show.

Jay: FACT-ION I'm on season one as we speak right now, so I can't judge. But I love the show so far. 

MGS: DON'T KNOW. I love the first two seasons of Sherlock and have the bluray preordered for season 3. I dont stream it cause I figured I could just wait a month. I'm sure its great. 

5 of 7. For the first time ever, all 3 give a Fact-ION answer.

8. Despite looking like it was animated in a sweatshop in India, "The Nut Job" will break out and have a "Gnomeo and Juliet" type run

CJohn: FICTION. Frozen is still making a lot of cash. There is no lack of a family movie like there was in 2011. And G&J looked far more appealing than The Nut Job. I am expecting it to perform worse than Free Birds.

Jay: FICTION should preform like Freebirds. Audiences care for the quality and can see its "cheap" compared to other big budget animated movies. Now days and expect animated movies to take themselves seriously as movies and not something just for kids. 

MGS: FICTION.This looks like one of the worst animated movies ever. I cant imagine most kids and parents interested in this. I miss the days when there was only 2-3 animated movies a year and you always knew the quality would be good. Now there is just too many.

6 of 8

9. The "Lone Survivor" opening exceeded your expectations

Posted Image

CJohn: FACT. 37.8 fucking million dollars. There is not much to say here. Mark Wahlberg means money in an appealing product but this was a crazy number. Great for Universal since they just got out of a year with two major bombs.

Jay: FACT I have always been not against the movie but not for it. I personally thought it would be terrible. I was wrong its great and I underestimated how war story not about politics but real people would play across the county. 

MGS: FACT. I didn't expect Lone Survivor to be this big. I figured a nice 15-20 opening but it defied my expectations. I'm glad cause I'm happy for Taylor Kitsch. I wish success for any FNL cast member.

7 of 9.

It was a regular lovefest this week with a lot of agreement among the contestants.

Feel free to join in and provide your answers in this thread as well. Please do vote as to who you felt answered the questions better. Poll is at the top of this thread.

I would like to thank CJohn, MGS and Jay for taking time out to provide their opinions here. Thanks a lot guys.

I am looking for participants, please let me know if you would be interested in providing your opinions for future editions of this column.

Until Next Time.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

Uhhh I was gonna read this but then I got to the Sherlock question which promptly freaked me out since there are spoilers everywhere on the new season online and I've tried to avoid them all. Should've saved that question until after it aired in America completely IMO (only three weeks)

Uhhh I was gonna read this but then I got to the Sherlock question which promptly freaked me out since there are spoilers everywhere on the new season online and I've tried to avoid them all. Should've saved that question until after it aired in America completely IMO (only three weeks)

Good point, will spoiler tag the answer

• Like 1

7. Season 3 of Sherlock met all expectations you had from it

CJohn: Not sure honestly. 

The lack of a decent explanation on how Sherlock survived shows that they never planned a way to explain it in the first place.

I'd disagree with that. They gave us a perfectly logical explanation as to how he survived, they just realised that no explanation would satisfy the fanbase and instead gave us some element of doubt as to whether said answer was true, leaving things open for those not satisfied with the given answer.

I'd disagree with that. They gave us a perfectly logical explanation as to how he survived, they just realised that no explanation would satisfy the fanbase and instead gave us some element of doubt as to whether said answer was true, leaving things open for those not satisfied with the given answer.

This. I don't know what you expected else.

Anyway, the explanation that he gave to Anderson seemed very logical because that's what it was pointed in that last episode. (of Season 2, I mean). Just look it up and you see that the clues were there, all of them pointing towards the scenario that Sherlock told to Anderson.

Also, what if it's not Moriarty himself. Didn't he have a brother?

This. I don't know what you expected else.

Anyway, the explanation that he gave to Anderson seemed very logical because that's what it was pointed in that last episode. (of Season 2, I mean). Just look it up and you see that the clues were there, all of them pointing towards the scenario that Sherlock told to Anderson.

Also, what if it's not Moriarty himself. Didn't he have a brother?

I don't think any fan would have complained if they had not tried to be oversmart about it. Just tell us, this is how it was done.But no, Moffat had to pull his BS nonsense.

I don't think any fan would have complained if they had not tried to be oversmart about it. Just tell us, this is how it was done.But no, Moffat had to pull his BS nonsense.

Oh please, have you seen the internet? Fans would've complained no matter what they did.

Honestly, I preferred it this way. It's more original, unexpected and fits with the tone of the show. There's no explanation that would've lived up the sheer hype that has built up over the last two years.