Phil in the Blank

Has a little bit of knowledge ever ruined a scene for you?

Great topic.  I'll think of some later.

On the flip side, one observation in a film really had me more into the whole thing was in Argo when one of the guys says he's from TORONTO.  Affleck corrects him and says, "Say Tronto...Canadians don't pronounce the O."  That was so bang on that I was floored and from there on I was completely immersed in the film. 

• Like 1

On the flip side, one observation in a film really had me more into the whole thing was in Argo when one of the guys says he's from TORONTO.  Affleck corrects him and says, "Say Tronto...Canadians don't pronounce the O."  That was so bang on that I was floored and from there on I was completely immersed in the film. 

Posted Image

• Like 1

I think 300.

I am like an amateur historian. 

I almost stood up in the theater when they started using gunpowder. I was like it was not invented for another 1000 years! 

However, 300 was a perfect film to watch with friends...Just laugh at the silliness and go woh at the one liners.

Watching the film by yourself is cringe worthy. 

• Like 1

I think 300.

I am like an amateur historian. 

I almost stood up in the theater when they started using gunpowder. I was like it was not invented for another 1000 years! 

However, 300 was a perfect film to watch with friends...Just laugh at the silliness and go woh at the one liners.

Watching the film by yourself is cringe worthy. 

Not to mention how appallingly they screwed up Athenian and Spartan societies.

• Like 4

In Die Hard 3, I hated the end scene in Quebec.  I remember when I first saw it, it just didn't look like Canada.  There was no Canadian flag and there was no Quebec flag.  Those fuckers in Quebec (I can call them fuckers, I was born there) always fly the fleur de lis flag.  But in the film, it just had that stupid sign for the truck stop, Nord du Linges.  But I knew that being on the border especially, there would be one of if not two of the flags I just mentioned.  Years later I found out that they filmed that scene in Baltimore and not in Quebec, not that I expected them to, but more importantly, they were just lazy filming that scene.  All they had to do is put one flag there to make it look like Canada and they couldn't even do that.

• Like 2

It's a classic, but what about Jeff Goldblum uploading a virus from his Powerbook to the alien mothership in ID4?

lol, but aren't films like that kind of untouchable?  That's just kind of funny and you have to suspend your disbelief.  It's like in Armageddon when all kinds of things happen that don't make sense but as Bay says in the commentary, there are things added to the film to move the plot along, not necessarily for accuracy.

• Like 1

I heard Nasa plays Armageddon as a test to new hires and they have to find as many mistakes as possibile. 

But they knew exactly what they were endorsing in Armageddon.  They not only endorsed it but allowed Bay to film there and use some of their weightlessness stuff.  

lol, but aren't films like that kind of untouchable?  That's just kind of funny and you have to suspend your disbelief.  It's like in Armageddon when all kinds of things happen that don't make sense but as Bay says in the commentary, there are things added to the film to move the plot along, not necessarily for accuracy.

I'm not expecting accuracy, but the screenwriters could at least make an effort. ;) I mean, Goldblum could wave a pentagram in the air and summon forth a demon unicorn and it'd be about the equivalent.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

I have something similar that I like in the movie Might Ducks they use the term cake eater to refer to rich kids in the movie are from the team called the "Hawks", In real life it is  the term can used for a town called Edina.  

Edited by Jesus of Suburbia
  • Like 1

Only thing I liked in TF2 was the rail gun, cool tech. 

I loved the IMAX. First movie I ever saw in true IMAX, seeing the pyramid collapse in true IMAX was a highlight.

EDIT: Incidentally, this is the reason I was very disappointed in "Dark of the Moon", it was shown in IMAX but had not actual IMAX footage, it was upconverted. The Chicago fight would have looked so awesome in IMAX. Another movie which missed the IMAX boat badly was "Catching Fire", almost an hour of it was in true IMAX and that was nowhere in the advertising.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1