Dark Jedi Master 007

The Classic Movie Club: First Film-ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)

By classic movies though, Im wondering how far back it needs to be.

60s?  50s?  40s?

Or are we going to be able to do some of the classic 70s and 80s movies as well?

70's and 80's movies are definite. Currently, I'm thinking that a cutoff could be 20 years. So anything from 1994 or before. That might be too inclusive, and maybe we could cut it to movies from 1989 or before. It's up to the group.

70's and 80's movies are definite. Currently, I'm thinking that a cutoff could be 20 years. So anything from 1994 or before. That might be too inclusive, and maybe we could cut it to movies from 1989 or before. It's up to the group.

I'd say any movie that is at least a decade and a half old that is regarded as "Classic", but I do think that there should be more movies from the 30s-50s than 80s-90s watched because I find that around the mid 70s is the typical cut off date a lot of people use when viewing film nowadays, they'll rarely look at the really old stuff unless it's like the Wizard of Oz, or other hugely known films.

It's kind of like in Music, people will usually cut off their taste with the Beatles and not tread any older, because it just seems so unfamiliar.

I think it'd be best to stick mostly in the early classical years of cinema, and throw in the standout classics from the 80s and 90s.

That's certainly possible. I would love any era, since I have so many classics to catch up to. The only thing that I don't want is us to watch just the classics that nearly everyone has seen. If we have Die Hard, Star Wars, Jaws, The Godfathers, and so forth, it's just us going over what we've seen (that doesn't mean we can't have these movies, but I also want some less watched classics in between them).But regardless of what we want, you've touched on a key point, which is how do we incorporate old films and still maintain interest. Before setting up the guidelines, we should probably talk about that.Currently, I was going to have people choose films on a rotation. But that doesn't seem like necessarily the best solution. There's another solution: which is that we have a rotation, but each person has to choose a classic from a decade. So maybe the first 4 weeks are from the 1960's. In which case, we'll have the first 4 people choose a classic from the 1960's. That seems like a good idea for what you're suggesting. The issue could be if someone like me gets the 1920's, in which I have never seen any of the classics. They're wiggle room around that, but it would still create problems. 

• Like 2

Well, it seems like a consensus is building on how to create the schedule. I like the idea as well that we actually focus on some decades for a bit.However, I recommend that it be in an order that's more interesting than just a chronological or reverse chronological order.Perhaps we could start with the 60's, since that seemed to be the start of a radical shift in Hollywood. And then from there, we could branch out.Maybe something like this1st time period: 60's2nd: 50's3rd: 70's4th: 40's5th: 80's6th: 30's7th: 90's8th: Anything before 30's 

• Like 3