JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

LOL Odeon Leicster Square in London cin1 off the cuff 1600-1700 seats and they have 3 price categories, the stalls and two for the dress circle the front dress circle price is or almost about what you pay here for GC (or it use to be) , the theatre is in high demand they ususally don't play films more than 3-5 weeks before it has to move elsewhere and a film can come off still taking over 100k for a weekend/week.and the cinema sells out over the years its held world BO recordsRandwick Ritz cinema 1(about 830 seats, use to often fill or go close rare these days has two levels)and GU George St 4 would be the biggest capcity regular screening cinemas in Sydney, Cremorne Orpheum cin4(around 750) would be next, without working it out Blacktown cin 5 probably be next close to 600 (its screen is biggest regular cinema in Australia and 2nd biggest Southern hemisphere the width of the screen is a tab smaller than Imax width Imax wins bigtime on height, and Imax sydney is worlds biggest)

I remember when my works biggest was around 3-350 (it was just when I started that we lost over half our capacity).350 now seems like a huge number to me, I can't even begin to explain what 1700 is :S

Who: Andrew Steel, Annalise Braakensiek, Charlotte Dawson, Claire Hooper, David Campbell, David Koch, Didier Cohen, Emma Lung, Joel Edgerton, Josh Flinn, Josh Pyke, Kate Peck, Kyle Sandilands, Leeanna Walsman, Leona Edmiston, Les Hill, Lizzy Lovette, Magdalena Roze, Matt Corby, Matt Doran, Melissa Hoyer, Mia Freedman, Renee Brack, Rth, Sam Macmillan, Tamara Jaber and Tim Pocock.

When: Tuesday 17th of July 2012

Time: 5:15 pm

Where: Imax Darling Harbour

http://www.spotlightreport.net/wp/movies/the-dark-knight-rises-sydney-premiere

From the discussions back on page 52, about Hoyts Distribution sale

Variety

Studiocanal buys Hoyts Distribution

It's Gallic mini-major's first buy outside Europe

By John Hopewell

Courson

'The Twlight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2'

European film and TV giant Studiocanal has inked with Hoyts Group to acquire Hoyts Distribution, a top distrib in Australia and New Zealand.

It's the first buy outside Europe for Paris-based Studiocanal, owned by France's Canal Plus Group, which has distrib arms in France, the U.K. and Germany.

Led by CEO Robert Slaviero, the Hoyts Distribution team will stay in place, said Studiocanal chairman-CEO Olivier Courson.

The buy takes in Hoyts' 120-title film library for Australia and New Zealand, including four "Saw" installments and the "Twilight" franchise.

With it, Studiocanal is entering one of the developed world's most vibrant, if competitive, markets.

Driven by exports to China, Australia has seen 21 years of consecutive economic growth. Box office has increased every year since 2006, with the 2011 B.O. hitting A$1 billion ($1.1 billion).

"It really makes sense for Studiocanal to operate directly in Australia. It's a fast-growing country and really strong movie market, bigger than Spain and Italy," Courson said.

After the acquisition, Studiocanal will seek to up sales in the market on its 5,000-movie library.

Also, Australia and New Zealand offer "synergies for international production, especially with Studiocanal's U.K. productions. There's a lot of great talent and favorable tax incentives," Courson said.

"Australia and New Zealand are near in taste to the U.K. market," he added, pointing out they repped the world's third-biggest market for the Studiocanal-financed "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."

We added a second midnight session today, though its looking likely to do BD1 numbers (about 1/3 of DH2).I think Knox's largest cinema is around 600 seats. Our largest is 460 and second largest is 400. With 3 300 seaters (usually sell out for HP like movies or holidays). Yesterday was still pretty busy, but today really dropped off. Ted still way ahead of the pack.

It's not likely TDKR will have an opening day bigger then TA. If it does, hold on tight and enjoy the ride. (TA made $6m on a public holiday Wednesday)

If TDKR opens over $6m, I wouldn't rule out a $23m OW - but I'm not getting excited at all.