JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

At $25 a pop, the FF6 advanced screenings at Event Cinemas are selling EXTREMELY WELL! All the major sites are pretty much full, with the smaller ones slowly getting there :)SoFrickenEXCITED!

You having multiple fangasms :)

• Like 2

Weekend Results 30th May - 2nd June 2013

As i suspected in my report last week, Gatsby indeed suprised making it the largest opening for an australian film ever.  It of course surpassed one of Baz Luhrmann's other epics "Australia".  Like Australia, Gatsby opened on a very wide 587 (Australia opened on 600 - record at the time).  Of course Australia went on to surprise us all with some excellent staying paying finally winding up just under 38m, which is something I doubt Gatsby will be able to match.  A more realistic total in the mid 20's will be a good result here.  Either way a 6.7m opening which I alluded to last week, was an impressive start for this romantic drama.  

As expected, The Hangover 3 crashed back to earth this weekend, falling an rather impressive 51%.  The result is rather middling for australia but given the luke warm word of mouth on this, the result is still acceptable.  Hangover 3 continues to track at around 75% of it's predecessor which will be a stronger result than the US where it appears to be heading for more like a 50% dip.  Star Trek Into Darkness continued to track well against the previous entry in the series and looks likely to pass that entry at this point in it's run possibly winding up around 17m (about 1m higher than the previous entry).  Iron Man 3 continues to put pressure on the 40m but it could actually wind up just short in the mid to high 39's if this keeps up.  Which will be disappointing given how large the opening was.  Rounding out the 5 was the 2nd highest new entry of the week in Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, the latest Bollywood film which pulled the highest average in the top 20 of nearly 17k on it's mere 16 prints.  A haunted house was a joke in 10th with only 117k..... ( a limp 1.7k average).   of note was the croods which is having a last dig at 25m actually increasing slightly from last week.  It should pass the mark over the coming weekend.

Speaking of... the coming weekend is a long weekend in much of the country and as such we get the next blockbuster and what a beauty we have!  The Fast and Furious 6 finally hits our shores.  Two weekends ago we watched it launch with much fanfare in the US to an impressive franchise high 97m and 117m in total for the 4 day memorial day weekend.  For comparison the 5th film opened in 2011 against Thor taking the weekend with a 7.4m 3 day but it had also burnt off demand 1 day earlier (2m) and it had anzac day following the weekend making it's first week takings over 12m (14.4m if you include the day 1).  It of course made it's way onto 25m.  Fast 6 i think will be looking to better this result looking to better the 10m mark over the 5 days at an absolute minimum.  Given my love for this series, I feel I might be on the high side but i'm sticking with my guns on this.  I'm thinking a 4 day opening above 10m is on the cards here pushing the 5 day towards the 12m mark.  It could even go higher....  As lab already posted the top 20, here is  my predictions for the coming weekend:

Prediction Weekend: June 6th - 9th 2013.

TW LW WI Movie - WE (3 day) / WE (4 day) / Total

1 New 1 Fast & Furious 6 - 10.4m / 12.3m / 12.3m

2 1 2 The Great Gatsby - 3.5m / 4.6m / 13.5m

3 2 3 The Hangover Part III - 2.1m / 2.8m / 19m

4 3 5 Star Trek Into Darkness - 700k / 900k / 15.7m

5 4 7 Iron Man 3 - 400k / 500k / 38.8m

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 2

At $25 a pop, the FF6 advanced screenings at Event Cinemas are selling EXTREMELY WELL! All the major sites are pretty much full, with the smaller ones slowly getting there :)SoFrickenEXCITED!

And the After Earth previews are $12. Interesting.

I'm trying to my expectations in check. I toyed with a predation of 16m over 5 days but it too high. The more I think about though...Biggest opening of 2013 possible?

I'm trying to my expectations in check. I toyed with a predation of 16m over 5 days but it too high. The more I think about though...Biggest opening of 2013 possible?

There a chance it matches IM3s 4-day, but only over FF6s 5-day. It's just too big of an OW for FF6 to match, and lack of 3D doesn't help!

^ if it does open that big could it make it past 30m ? (in theory it should but the last one only managed 25m after it's big opening week though it's actual OW was only just over 7m... hmmm i dunno.

^ if it does open that big could it make it past 30m ? (in theory it should but the last one only managed 25m after it's big opening week though it's actual OW was only just over 7m... hmmm i dunno.

I think FF6 should manage around $27-28m

btw - has anyone seen the upcoming bloodbath over the first weekend of the holidays (20th June)

Monsters University vs Despeicable Me 2

You would have thought studios would learn by now not to do this but still it happens.  On top of all this, epic tries a triple wammy one week later after this bloodbath of an opening :P

EDIT - it gets even better....

World War Z is counter programming against the 2 animated films and Man of sTeel is up against epic...

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 1

^ bah none of these matter cause FF6 is gonna blow em all away  :D  :ph34r:  B)

FF6 for 20m 5 day 15m 2nd weekend and still be above 10m by the time man of steel opens... wooohoooooo!!!!!!

<finishes dreaming and jumps back into reality> ;)

• Like 2

^ bah none of these matter cause FF6 is gonna blow em all away  :D  :ph34r:  B)  FF6 for 20m 5 day 15m 2nd weekend and still be above 10m by the time man of steel opens... wooohoooooo!!!!!! <finishes dreaming and jumps back into reality> ;)

For a moment, I actually thought you were serious.
  • Like 1

btw - has anyone seen the upcoming bloodbath over the first weekend of the holidays (20th June) Monsters University vs Despeicable Me 2 You would have thought studios would learn by now not to do this but still it happens.  On top of all this, epic tries a triple wammy one week later after this bloodbath of an opening :P EDIT - it gets even better.... World War Z is counter programming against the 2 animated films and Man of sTeel is up against epic...

That's too funny. I can't believe they'd actually do it this way, and yet there it is.

As if they didn't learn from KFP2 and Cars 2 - they will not survive!!! I'm not so concerned about MoS and WWZ as I never really expected anything over about $15m for each of them so ill just let them slaughter each other to pieces :)But there goes any hope of $30m for either MU or DM2.

As if they didn't learn from KFP2 and Cars 2 - they will not survive!!! I'm not so concerned about MoS and WWZ as I never really expected anything over about $15m for each of them so ill just let them slaughter each other to pieces :)But there goes any hope of $30m for either MU or DM2.

ye have little faith

25m each :D

Edited by Rth

btw - has anyone seen the upcoming bloodbath over the first weekend of the holidays (20th June)

Monsters University vs Despeicable Me 2

You would have thought studios would learn by now not to do this but still it happens.  On top of all this, epic tries a triple wammy one week later after this bloodbath of an opening :P

EDIT - it gets even better....

World War Z is counter programming against the 2 animated films and Man of sTeel is up against epic...

Add to it DME previews 15-16/6

Epic had previews in WA Last weekend(Long wkend),it then previews this weekend everywhere except WA and then QLD only mon-wed 24-27/6 then opens 27/6(NSw/VIC/QLD (SA/WA not till 4/7) , DMe2 & MUni everywhere 20/6

Have you looked at Sept

Smurfs 2, followed week later by  Planes, turbo, Percy (all 3 staggered release NSW VIC QLD first followed by SA WA)

Edited by Rth

I was looking at September awhile back and it is going to be insane! Smurfs 2 and Turbo are the only ones I can see doing well.

DM2 and MU I think can work together. MU especially will do well with the night time shows as uni and high school will be finishing up.