Dementeleus

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm curious, Blanks, what aspect of the ending did you find disappointing and what would you have liked to see happen?

I needed much better resolution on Roy's arc. The way I viewed it, the aliens brainwashed him (not exactly but I can't think of a better word) to want to visit that mountain and then he chooses to go on their ship, leaving his family. What a hero.

IDK, I wanted him to have vindication from his family at least. Everything about his family felt extremely unresolved to me

What we have here is a film that shows the pursuit of extraterrestrial life in a primal style.  What I mean by primal is simply that instead of focusing on simple alien invasion such as what we've seen of late, it is instead centered around the mystique and mystery of finding such life.  This is very much a celebration of the unknown and whatever it may hold.  The mere concept of what is taking place here lends the imagination to powerful ideas.  This is special film-making, plain and simple.

Another aspect that really elevates the film is of course Richard Dreyfuss.  His role as a family man and dad serve as the core of the film in that it is the collision of civilization and the unknown that really makes this film so great.  The mundane nature of everyday life colliding with the spectacular unknown of the extraterrestrial world.

There is a scene in the film in which Dreyfuss starts to uproot all these plants in his yard and throwing them through the kitchen window.  Fearing that his family thinks he is going mad, he remarks that he would need to go to the doctor if he DIDN'T this.  This is such a small part of the film, and yet it is in many ways also a crucial moment.  It signifies that this is bigger than ourselves, this is something that we can only hope to comprehend.  One does simply not give up on a feeling and opportunity such as this.  The mystery of extraterrestrial life never feels more powerful than it does right here.  Great stuff.

A cornerstone of sci-fi cinema, and one of those films in which I don't argue when the term masterpiece is associated with it.
  • Like 2

I couldn't help but feel bored, and visually it's one of Spielberg's weakest, save for a few isolated sequences.

Pretty much a nothing of a film. Definitely one of his worst.

Schindler's List 100/100
War of the Worlds 100/100
Empire of the Sun 100/100
Munich 90/100
Jaws 85/100
Bridge of Spies 80/100
Jurassic Park 80/100
Always 75/100
The Color Purple 65/100
Duel 65/100
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 60/100
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 60/100
Amistad 60/100
The Lost World 60/100
Saving Private Ryan 55/100
Raiders of the Lost Ark 55/100
Lincoln 50/100
The Terminal 50/100
Hook 45/100
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 45/100
Temple of Doom 45/100
The Sugarland Express 45/100
Last Crusade 40/100
1941 20/100

Edited by Goffe

I was rather uncomfortable with how the movie handled Dreyfuss' relationship with his family, characterizing them as unsupportive obstacles to his goal and feeling like no more than a nuisance brushed aside once his wife finally decides to leave him; made moreso since he conveniently had the other cute blonde with only one little kid who believes in everything too to fall back on for emotional support. But on a grander scale Close Encounters is certainly an engrossing experience, especially the much-ballyhooed finale.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1