Films

TOP 25 MUSICALS EVER: THE RESULTS. Countdown finished

Awesome list, FF!! Keep up the good work. You could include posters of the movies and trailers in their respective posts too. And omg, are the top two movies the ones I think they are? OMG, that would be thrilling!!!  :D

You know it is ;)
  • Like 2

Tangled scored higher than Blues Brothers, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins? WTF? I'd question its position on this list period. It's a good film and all, but those are genuine classics.

Also, I have a horrible horrible feeling that Frozen is either going to be 1st or joint 2nd. Either way, it definitely doesn't deserve to be that high.

Edited by Za Rukaio!

Tangled scored higher than Blues Brothers, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins? WTF? I'd question its position on this list period. It's a good film and all, but those are genuine classics.

Also, I have a horrible horrible feeling that Frozen is either going to be 1st or joint 2nd. Either way, it definitely doesn't deserve to be that high.

I know that slot belongs to Dr. Horrible  :ph34r:

In all seriousness if any of you haven't seen Dr. Horrible you should check it out last I saw it was on Hulu (regular not plus), and it is so much better than any other internet video.  Well if you dislike Joss Wheden shows I wouldn't bother but otherwise it is a great movie  :)

Edited by 23IsEverywhere

And now it's time for everyone to go mad, some mad because it's not number 1 and some mad because it's this high

Joint 2nd- Frozen- 205 points

'The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway'

The most recent film on this list from only 5 months ago is the next film from Disney in this countdown. The film was directed by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee and had voiceovers from people such as Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel [or Adele Dazeem according to John Travolta], Jonathan Groff and Josh Gad. The film included the loveable and amazing characters of Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and sidekick Olaf. The film has a great twist about 3 quarters through the film and the ending is really good and defies your typical Disney ending which was nice. Disney were originally thinking about making the film in 1943 using traditional animation. The film was revitalized in December 2011 after the success of Tangled and originally had Elsa as the villain, Hanz not in the film and Olaf as Elsa's evil sidekick.

The film contains many memorable songs including the Oscar winner Let It Go by Idina Menzel which has been a massive success in the charts as well [i think 4 in America and 11 in the UK], for the first time in forever, love is an open door, do you want to build a snowman and many more on one of the best soundtracks of all time and the score is also absolutely amazing.

The film premiered at the El Capitan theatre on the 19th November and the film was preceded by a new Mickey Mouse short- Get A Horse. A teaser trailer was released in June and the main trailer was released in September. A sing-a-long version was released on 31 January with a bouncing snowflake.

It is one of the biggest sellers ever on home video after selling 3.2M DVD and Blu-Ray units on it's first day. Games such as Frozen Free Fall have been created.

Now on to that incredible box office run. The film has earned 399.5M at the North American box office and could pass 400M as early as this weekend if it has a flat hold or increase at the box office this week. It became fandango top animated film advance ticket seller and it earned 15.2M on it's opening day leading to a Thanksgiving weekend of 67M/93M which was the second biggest weekend ever to not hit number 1. This was an opening record for Walt Disney Animation Studios and it made new records such as biggest total for a film opening during Thanksgiving and the second largest for all films over Thanksgiving just losing out to Hunger Games: Catching Fire. It had a very good hold of 53% on a holiday weekend to 31M on it's second weekend where it placed at the top of the box office. This was the largest ever post Thanksgiving weekend. It then also went back to number 1 on it's 6th weekend and Frozen spent 16 consecutive weekends in the top 10- the longest run since 2002. It is the 19th highest grossing film in North America, 3rd biggest of 2014 and it achieved large grosses from it's 5th to 12th weekend. It is also the highest grossing original film run animated films excluding re-releases.

Outside of North America, it was the second biggest film of 2013, the 12th biggest film of all time and this weekend it will become the biggest animation ever overseas. It is also the highest grossing Walt Disney film in over 50 territories such as China and the UK. The film has made 1,112,545,248 billion and is the 8th biggest film of all time, the highest grossing animated film, the third biggest film distributed by Disney and it is still earning money.

Frozen received widespread critical acclaim and amazing reviews with 89% on Rotten Tomatoes with many critics singling out the Let It Go sequence as one of the best of the year. In a fandango poll, Let It Go was the favourite song [55%], followed by do you want to build a snowman [21%] and for the first time in forever [9%]. The film received an A+ rating on CinemaScore and the film was also praised for visuals and voice acting.

The film won many awards including best animated feature at the Golden Globes, 5 Annie awards, best animated feature at the BAFTA'S and 2 at the Oscars for best animated feature [first Walt Disney animation studios film to win this award] and Let It Go.

The merchandise sales have been massive and there are plans to turn Frozen into a Broadway musical.

Posted Image

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cdIvgBCWY 

Edited by FrozenFilms
  • Like 5

Why Aladdin? I didn't even know it was that amazingly popular a Disney film, let alone a musical.

Obviously it in no way deserves to be the winner, but that's par for the course for a list where the Blues Brothers is 21st and the entire top 5 are Disney films. I'm just kinda bemused at its victory.

• Like 1

YES! YES! YES! Aladdin and Frozen dominating <3 

Why Aladdin?

It's only the greatest animated film of all time!  :lol: With great dialogues, great songs, great moments and the best character ensemble in a Disney movie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spidey Freak of Highgarden
  • Like 2

Rocky Horror didn't make my list, but it was a tough omission. However, I needed to vote for movies like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (which shockingly didn't make the list) and Cabaret (which also didn't make the list).

The Blues Brothers making the list is a little surprising because I never thought it was a top 25 musical of all-time, but it is very understandable. Sweeney Todd makes very little sense. South Park is a travesty. That is just a bad choice when mentioning the top musicals of all-time. Dr. Horrible isn't even a theatrically released movie, so the fact that multiple people voted for it leaves me speechless.

Aladdin at number 1 makes a lot of sense if you like great musicals. Frozen is too high, but when compared to South Park or Dr. Horrible, then Frozen should be that high.

I guess my last word on this list is to watch more musicals.

Rocky Horror didn't make my list, but it was a tough omission. However, I needed to vote for movies like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (which shockingly didn't make the list) and Cabaret (which also didn't make the list). The Blues Brothers making the list is a little surprising because I never thought it was a top 25 musical of all-time, but it is very understandable. Sweeney Todd makes very little sense. South Park is a travesty. That is just a bad choice when mentioning the top musicals of all-time. Dr. Horrible isn't even a theatrically released movie, so the fact that multiple people voted for it leaves me speechless. Aladdin at number 1 makes a lot of sense if you like great musicals. Frozen is too high, but when compared to South Park or Dr. Horrible, then Frozen should be that high. I guess my last word on this list is to watch more musicals.

Any opinion if Team America, World Police should have made it? I agree Aladdin is good, raised by a great Robin Williams role, but I don't think it should be high than The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

Any opinion if Team America, World Police should have made it? I agree Aladdin is good, raised by a great Robin Williams role, but I don't think it should be high than The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

I don't think Team America should have made it. When compared to classic musicals like Holiday Inn (the film that gave us White Christmas) or Meet me in St. Louis (the film that gave us Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas) it just doesn't stand up.

I personally loved Aladdin more than The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. However, if either of those films were ranked over Aladdin, I wouldn't complain. Those are all top notch classic musicals.

• Like 1