Blackout

Monday Actuals: 22JS 3.64, Dragon 3.12, TLAM2 2.48, Malef 1.75, JB 1.47, FIOS 1.43, EoT 1.2, DOFP 0.792

But why? Again, what's the point? The first movie was plenty Shane Blackian. So... the remake/reboot is gonna be Shane Blackian again?

I would assume the point is that they want to keep the Predator franchise going, and they decided that a full reboot would be a better way forward than a sequel to Predators.

Speaking of Bigelow, if you haven't seen it, NEAR DARK is a must-see. Low budget movies back then weren't answerable to anyone (it seems) -- all sorts of cool and interesting stuff got made.

I miss that A LOT. Part of the reason I gave Bong's Snowpiercer a pass for some its missteps. In fits and spurts, it harkens back to Road Warrior, Brazil, stylistic Verhoeven violence. I gave a soft spot for the movies it jogged fond memories of...

...and, as for Commando, well, it's my favorite guilty pleasure of all-time in film. It's followed closely by Out For Justice and Cool As Ice though.

...and, as for Commando, well, it's my favorite guilty pleasure of all-time in film. It's followed closely by Out For Justice and Cool As Ice though.

I guess the thing for me is I never really got into the hero-as-huge-invincible-wisecracking-machine deal that was popular in the early 80s. Mildly amusing, but never really very suspenseful or interesting.

OMG, E, it's fantastic. Stars most of the supporting cast of ALIENS and Bigelow shoots it like the fever dream of an art project.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok I'll give it a shot. Is it really gruesome?

I guess the thing for me is I never really got into the hero-as-huge-invincible-wisecracking-machine deal that was popular in the early 80s. Mildly amusing, but never really very suspenseful or interesting.

Well, that was kind of the appeal. They weren't three-dimensional, well-developed characters, exhibiting weakness and complexity. They were badasses and for around two hours, you watch them kick ass in creative ways and throw out one-liners. Sure, it's not the epitome of creativity, but as pure escapism, it's awesome.

• Like 1

Erm.... only in a couple of scenes. (And honestly compared to the shit that comes out today, not so much.)

Well I don't watch any of that stuff out today, lol. But I just wanted to prepare myself.

• Like 1

Hey isn't that the same guy that was in Predator with him?

Just look at all the classic movies that Lance Henrickson or Bill Paxton pop up in.  The same groups of people made so many movies together.

I think Jackie Chan has beaten up the same guy in 10 different movies.

• Like 1

Not suspenseful. Not in the least. But, I fell for the personalities of Arnie, Seagal, etc. as a kid. I've never been able to shake it. Oh, I left out Russell too. Big Trouble In Little China and Escape from New York. Damn. Like Die Hard, if they're on TV, I can't leave the room.

The original LETHAL WEAPON has some surprisingly dark character moments. The sequels got increasingly silly, and there are certainly plenty of fun moments in the first one too, but they don't play up Gibson's suicidal depression as all fun-and-games. It's a great action movie. I can't believe they're rebooting PREDATOR. Not that the original is perfect -- what movie is? -- but honestly, what's the point? Especially with Shane Black doing it. What's next, maybe can they get Tarantino to remake RESERVOIR DOGS? I know! Maybe Luc Besson could reboot FIFTH ELEMENT!

i will tell you what movie is perfect. 12 ANGRY MEN.
  • Like 1