Blackout

Wednesday #s (Spatula): Dragon 3.53, 22JS 3.46, Malef 1.93, TLAM2 1.85, JB 1.6, FIOS 1.51, EoT 1.22, DOFP 0.83

Surprised no one’s talking about the breakout potential of Begin Again. I’m not expecting a huge PTA this weekend b/c it’s not edgy and the reviews are good, not great. But once it gets exposed to audiences I could see it outgrossing Chef. By all accounts it's the year's most charming, feel-good and irresistible movie. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1

Studio decides where films should play then theatres accept or not, theatre can ask to play film and studio will decide yes/no..

there are al kinds of deals surrounding minimum play period, film rental terms etc.

So a theatre might agree to play DOFP for at least 4 weeks, now if its performing badly and theatre wants to say take it off end of week 2/3 studio may/may not allow it. Some times there is a deal that says for example minimum play 6 weeks if after 3 weeks film takes less than 10k option to take the film off. Deals can also include screens so it might be minimum 2 weeks on 3 screens and week3+ 1 screen , theres a lot more leaniancy onreducing screens than of cause taking film off completely

That is really interesting information. 

I should write a book lol

Thing to is a lot of theatres/circuits think they own the film and can do what they like...they don't and they can't

Theatrical works totally different to the likes of TV

with TV studios sell TV show or film wth contracts that say you can play X 1-2 times or as many times over say next 2 years

9 times out of 10 beyond that the  TV networks can do what they like they can play it not play it put it on at any time, if TV series play episodes out of order (unless a contract specifically states it must be played in order).

Its also hard to monitor with TV as to weather networks are complying with at least basics of contract

for example there was a show few years ago that involved a law suit with one of the stars while the court case was going on , no Tv station in the world was alound to play the particular Tv series.

Now what happened was that one Cable station overseas who was out of contract with the particluar show, played it , it was only picked up by someone looking at TV guide, whenthis was discover the head of cable station got a phone call and stated not only are you out of contract playing period let alone the remifications of court case, you are to remove the show for airing as of right this second. The station had to change their schedule for a month to replace the show they should never have been playing in the first place.

with theatrical there is more control and monitiroing of what theatres do and are they complying.... in some contries there is a session policy (ie you must play say two evenign sessions and 1 day session), if say theatre only put on 1 evening sessions, studio can pull the film and believe me it happens.

• Like 7

Surprised no one’s talking about the breakout potential of Begin Again. I’m not expecting a huge PTA this weekend b/c it’s not edgy and the reviews are good, not great. But once it gets exposed to audiences I could see it outgrossing Chef. By all accounts it's the year's most charming, feel-good and irresistible movie. 

Because if its potential is "outgrossing Chef", that's solid, but nothing spectacular.

• Like 1

Studio decides where films should play then theatres accept or not, theatre can ask to play film and studio will decide yes/no..

there are al kinds of deals surrounding minimum play period, film rental terms etc.

So a theatre might agree to play DOFP for at least 4 weeks, now if its performing badly and theatre wants to say take it off end of week 2/3 studio may/may not allow it. Some times there is a deal that says for example minimum play 6 weeks if after 3 weeks film takes less than 10k option to take the film off. Deals can also include screens so it might be minimum 2 weeks on 3 screens and week3+ 1 screen , theres a lot more leaniancy onreducing screens than of cause taking film off completely

Didn't Lucasfilm/Fox infamously demand crazy-long minimum play periods for PHANTOM MENACE?

• Like 1

You know, I always wondered...if things came to a head between studios/distributors and theater chains, what would it take for the Big 6 to pool resources and take over a major chain or two? Would it even be possible? Would they deem it worthwhile, or would they rather change the whole game, with no more theatrical releases?

• Like 1

I have been invited a friend and his wife whom I haven't seen in a couple years to go see Maleficent.

Damn you Dame.

I really had zero intention to go see it but since my friend is Mormon, he doesn't gravitate towards the Michael Bay style of excess.

You should've waited to see Million Dollar Arm until now. I know from first hand experience that Mormons love that movie

... On second thought, take them to Jump Street *mwahahaha*

TF3 basically did $13.5m, given what today's "midnights" are considered.

Given the increase in advanced sales, but what might be lower walk-up interest, I think 11-13 should be a reasonable target for it, no?

• Like 1

I can't blame them. I hate 3D myself. I just don't see the point of it, I've always found it distracting when trying to watch a movie.

Dragon 2's 3D was magnificent though.

I think Dragon could have a strong increase tomorrow. TF4 shouldn't hurt it as much as we think.

On a random sidenote, I saw on FB that a friend of mine's church group is going to an outreach program at the drive-in this weekend to Transformers 4. I was shocked since, as we all should know pretty well, Transformers is easily the lewdest PG-13 action franchise out there.

Next Week's Theater Counts

Tammy- 3,350+

Deliver Us From Evil- 3,000

Earth to Echo- 2,800

America- 1,000 (this has to be the widest release ever for a movie 99.9% of the moviegoing public has never heard of beforehand)

It's a movie titled america. if i went to the theater on the fourth of july and needed a movie to see, you know what i'd pick?

AMERICUHHHH

wait wait wait

This... this means the "fantasy movie theater owner" game I played by myself from like 2009 to 2011 was completely inaccurate :(