Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

On 6/12/2024 at 1:28 AM, lab276 said:

Just to demonstrate how apocalyptically bad the box office is travelling atm, here are the three post covid summers. Blue is 2022, red 2023 and yellow 2024. I know we all saw it coming, but seeing it like this is pretty stark. The studios and cinemas are in desperate need of a real blockbuster. Can it be the case that streaming is more profitable? Have any direct to streaming movies caught the imagination in the way that TGM, Avatar TWOW or Barbenheimer have? It's like the difference between releasing a tv series all in one go vs one episode per week. The conversation just can't sustain itself if the bulk of viewers watch it in one week then just move onto the next thing. Imagine if Netflix released Hit Man in theatres.

mabR3t4.png

No doubt, streming has caused the biggest decline in theater attendence  since the advent of Television took away 40% of the theatr going audience  in the early Fifties.

It wrecked the classic studio system, and I suspect the whole industry will have to change once again.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

No doubt, streming has caused the biggest decline in theater attendence  since the advent of Television took away 40% of the theatr going audience  in the early Fifties.

It wrecked the classic studio system, and I suspect the whole industry will have to change once again.

yeah, Inside Out 2 is doing crazy right now, but on a tiktok ad I saw advertising the movie, around 30% of the comments were people wondering when it would be on Disney + or a different streaming service

So at what looks like will probably be the nadir we're trailing at over a billion in the year-to-date comp and $300 million in the rolling year-to-year comp. Hopefully this is the beginning of the comeback