Fancyarcher

James Garner has died

Oh fuk :( :(.. Noooo :'( Rockford Files, Maverick,  Space Cowboys, That romantic movie with Sally Field... So many great TV Shows... Going too miss him another great one  gone.. RIP.. And Amen Archer buddy.. I didnt know you were a fan :)

• Like 1

Someone needs a James Garner education. ;)

1950's/60's- Maverick(Bret Maverick):

Posted Image

1970's- Rockford Files(Jim Rockford):

Posted Image

1980's- Sunset(Wyatt Earp, with Bruce Willis as Tom Mix):

Posted Image

1990's- Maverick(the film, "Zane Cooper" with Mel Gibson as Bret Maverick):

Posted Image

2000's- The Notebook("Duke")

Posted Image

Not to mention The Great Escape, Victor Victoria, Murphy's Romance and Space Cowboys, among many other films.

Great long life and career. Rest in Peace.

Ahh A true  James Garner Fan... Tell em  Accursed Buddy :) :)... Sad hope his family and friends know how much he was loved and they are coping well. Wow cant believe he was 86. Time flies.

Bravo Accurse Bravo... A long history of great film and television  is what this man was all about.

Hey was it through he was also of Cherokee decent?.. Anyone?

Edited by Superman001

You know, I've been reading all the various obits, and was struck at how different stars were back then. (The article I posted recently about Robert Mitchum had me in a similar frame of mind already). Sure, you had manufactured groups like The Monkeys, and teeny-bopper generic kids like Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, but you had a breed of guys who came from raw, tough, un-actorly backgrounds. They ended up being big stars, but without pretensions, and they never tried to fool themselves that they were amazing, brilliant thespians or that acting was an amazing, opaque, and insightful profession. I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone like this today. Harrison Ford might be the last of this sort of star. Sam Worthington has a bit of this sort of backstory, but he doesn't have the charisma or chops to pull it off. I miss the old stars.

• Like 5

Vanity Fair has a lovely tribute to Garner

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone, leave your name and message. I'll get back to you."

As ever, his contradictions and multitudes were a gift. He was both masculinity and tenderness personified. Thank you, James, for all you gave us. We’ll be seeing you.

A wonderful charismatic and often underrated actor because he made it look so easy.  I adored him as Rockford (probably still the best detective show ever) and in many films.  My favorite is The Americanization Of Emily in which he is absolutely brilliant.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Oh fuk :( :(.. Noooo :'( Rockford Files, Maverick,  Space Cowboys, That romantic movie with Sally Field... So many great TV Shows... Going too miss him another great one  gone.. RIP.. And Amen Archer buddy.. I didnt know you were a fan :)

I was familiar with Garner. I watched him in movies and I saw Maverick (the TV show) on TV. He was a cool guy.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

You know, I've been reading all the various obits, and was struck at how different stars were back then. (The article I posted recently about Robert Mitchum had me in a similar frame of mind already). Sure, you had manufactured groups like The Monkeys, and teeny-bopper generic kids like Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, but you had a breed of guys who came from raw, tough, un-actorly backgrounds. They ended up being big stars, but without pretensions, and they never tried to fool themselves that they were amazing, brilliant thespians or that acting was an amazing, opaque, and insightful profession.I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone like this today. Harrison Ford might be the last of this sort of star. Sam Worthington has a bit of this sort of backstory, but he doesn't have the charisma or chops to pull it off.I miss the old stars.

Glad you mentioned Harrison Ford.. Yep he was a master Carpenter long before he was an actor and hes definitely

a mans man. I heard he punched the host of UFC when the guy bounced him and said back up old man..

If that is true wow.. Harrison ford is no joke..lol

I was familiar with Garner. I watched him in movies and I saw Maverick (the TV show) on TV. He was a cool guy.

Just goes to show you good buddy, that its bullshit when folks say the younger generation has no appreciation

fr the old greats and the great films and shows of yester year.. Its all whoo you are raised with or who you around I think.

I learned aboout 30s-60s films through my father and friends of the family who are movie collectors through and through

• Like 1

Yeah, his maternal grandfather (I think) was full-blooded Cherokee.

Yeah I thought this was true, he has that cool mixed look about him and you can see a lil Lakota or other Native American

mix in  his features.. Very cool. And thanks Tele.. Man I hope we never see Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood and others from

the tuff real world guys turn actors leaving us anytime soon.

Just goes to show you good buddy, that its bullshit when folks say the younger generation has no appreciation

fr the old greats and the great films and shows of yester year.. Its all whoo you are raised with or who you around I think.

I learned aboout 30s-60s films through my father and friends of the family who are movie collectors through and through

I know a lot of younger people who refuse to watch black n white or older movies, but I also know quite a few young people who are film lovers and will watch any movie regardless.

It's always nice to meet them.

• Like 2