Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

My top 2 as well.   I still lean toward Cap 2, but Apes was fantastic in a different way.

It's that "different way" that I think hurts its box office a bit.   I was leaning forward in my seat hanging onto every second of Apes....but I don't think teens will be that affected by it frankly.   Apes is closer to an Oscar-bait type movie than a popcorn film in my mind...not exactly a recipe for box office success.

I'm just glad it is doing better business than the first one so Reeves will get a chance to expand upon what he did in the next one.

My top 2 as well.   I still lean toward Cap 2, but Apes was fantastic in a different way.

It's that "different way" that I think hurts its box office a bit.   I was leaning forward in my seat hanging onto every second of Apes....but I don't think teens will be that affected by it frankly.   Apes is closer to an Oscar-bait type movie than a popcorn film in my mind...not exactly a recipe for box office success.

I'm just glad it is doing better business than the first one so Reeves will get a chance to expand upon what he did in the next one.

Did Reeves direct the first Ethan buddy and Harp ape warriors? :)?

• Like 1

That Apes 2 number is disappointing.

It might be more of a drama and not have quite the action needed to get the domestic crowd coming back for more, hopefully the folks that like their big films with some serious quality will come back enough for serious OS and a great Domestic Tally.

I  would love apes to conquer 650M WW.. Me and Ethan were hoping for 750..  Looks tuff  now. :(

• Like 2

That may be so, but you can't discredit her involvement.  She certainly boosted the awareness of it imo.

Amen Baumer.. Lol Empre and others thought she wasnt a draw.... Ethan, you, me and Captain Jack knew this girl was a rising BO power.

And she has risen.. It remains to be seen if Lucy's quality will give folks the ride that trusted their money to go see this project. I knoew Lucy would make 45-53M ... LOL@ it will be lucky to make 20-30M...

I hope folks now know that when yu got the acting chops, the look , the voice and youve been in 3-4 Marvel movies your fans will follow :)..

Amen Scar JO!!

• Like 1

I agree Ethan that the concept was a draw too my brother, but you know you needed the right actress to sell that point to the masses.. The only other personas  I could think that could sell it would be Jolie and Jodie Foster. ANd heck they did seek the Dame , she turned it down.. lol And Scarjo looks to have a 120+M Domestic  or better hit. :) I wonder how her fanbase will help this film OS.. Also folks love Morgan Freeman as well :)

• Like 2

No Rupert Wyatt directed the first.

Reeves seems to be a better director in directing an apes movie with not only quality but that sense of grand film making as well. :)

Though I would love Rupert to take a shot at later Apes movies again , as his original rocked as well.

• Like 1

I agree Ethan that the concept was a draw too my brother, but you know you needed the right actress to sell that point to the masses.. The only other personas  I could think that could sell it would be Jolie and Jodie Foster. ANd heck they did seek the Dame , she turned it down.. lol And Scarjo looks to have a 120+M Domestic  or better hit. :) I wonder how her fanbase will help this film OS.. Also folks love Morgan Freeman as well :)

ScarJo helped but I think the film still could have opened well with a little known actress.
  • Like 1

Not 40M, but 30M.

25m maybe. I can see people waiting to see it without a star attached. The only reason I know or care about it is because of Scarlett.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 3

40m with a nobody? I doubt it.

I think Lucy's success can be credited partly to ScarJo, but also the marketing. The first trailer was awesome, and they had a great marketing hook as well about the whole 10% of the brain thing (scientifically inaccurate, but still a cool sci-fi concept)
  • Like 2

Amen Baumer.. Lol Empre and others thought she wasnt a draw.... Ethan, you, me and Captain Jack knew this girl was a rising BO power.

And she has risen.. It remains to be seen if Lucy's quality will give folks the ride that trusted their money to go see this project. I knoew Lucy would make 45-53M ... LOL@ it will be lucky to make 20-30M...

I hope folks now know that when yu got the acting chops, the look , the voice and youve been in 3-4 Marvel movies your fans will follow :)..

Amen Scar JO!!

I never said she wasn't a draw. The reason I predicted that it will finish with 84M is because it looked bad and it has a lot of competition coming up. 

It might go higher, but it will finish closer to my prediction than your prediction of 140M or whatever you said. 

lol. how many A-list heroes are there? They're already making Ant Man next year.

I'm not saying that I want a Black Widow movie, I just don't see the point when Lucy already exists.

And, I don't want to see the same damn movie over and over again. Marvel needs to diversify sooner rather than later.

Perhaps they are doing so already, which would be smart, because they cannot last doing the same thing forever.

Thor, Dr. Strange, Captain America, Ant-Man and Iron Man may all be white males but they all have vastly different powers and personalities.

• Like 1

Hey Archer and Estasy you all were with me that Lucy would open up bigger than these naysayer predicts or are you both suprised? :)?

I dunna. I pegged the film at 29m or something, I'm surprised, but given tracking I'm also not. Still it opened quite good.

Bah. Her movie career is basically nonexistent at this point. Weinstein did nothing for her.

What? She got married Ryan and that ended the Weinstein relationship.

What? She got married Ryan and that ended the Weinstein relationship.

She never took advantage of it, and being married to Ryan Reynolds didn't help.

At this point she seems less interested in being actress and more of a fashion icon. Makes sense, given that's the only way she can keep herself relevant in the media for five or so years.

She never took advantage of it, and being married to Ryan Reynolds didn't help.

At this point she seems less interested in being actress and more of a fashion icon. Makes sense, given that's the only way she can keep herself relevant in the media for five or so years.

Well I agree with that. People rag on her acting and while I don't think she's all that great, I did like her in The Town.

Well I agree with that. People rag on her acting and while I don't think she's all that great, I did like her in The Town.

She was decent in some of her scenes, but for the most part her career has been basically built around her looks and not her acting.