iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#8: Toy Story 2 (1999) - 924 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Toy Story 2 is the fifth film from the Pixar Power PackTM, and the second in the Toy Story series. It received the same number of votes as Toy Story, but averaged 1.2 points higher.

1st place votes received: 3
2nd place votes received: 2

IMDB trivia:
When Jessie first meets Woody (Tom Hanks), she exclaims, "Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!" Abraham Lincoln's mother was Nancy Hanks, a blood relative of Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks is a direct descendant of an uncle of Nancy Hanks.

BOF User Review:
Probably my favorite of the series and it works so well on many levels from the comedy to the near tear-jerking drama. 
-The Movieman, 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 19

#7: Ratatouille (1999) - 938 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A rat, who can also cook, makes an unusual alliance with a young kitchen worker at a famous restaurant.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Ratatouille is the sixth film from the Pixar Power PackTM, and the fourth Pixar film in a row! It has the lowest average score in the Top 10.

1st place votes received: 1
2nd place votes received: 1

IMDB trivia:
When Remy is climbing out of the sewers for the first time, he is barked at by a dog in one of the homes. You only see the dog's silhouette, but it is actually the dog, Dug, from Pixar's then still-in-production film, Up (2009).

BOF User Review:
Really solid film from Pixar that entertains, as well as inspires. The Anton Ego character was brilliant. Loved him. Although I absolutely adore this film, I do think it is Pixar's most overrated. Many people say it's Pixar's best, while I think it's one of their middle tier films. 
-Letsuseournoggin, 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

(RIP Peter O'Toole)

• Like 18

I feel like I should rewatch Ratatouille.It's the one Pixar movie I couldn't feel anything towards. Maybe a rewatch will change my opinion on it.

I didn't understand it's brilliance as a kid but after rewatching I fully believe it is a masterpiece.Hail Brad BirdP.S. I know I'm gonna get some “you still are a kid comments" but seriously you guys know what I mean.

#6: Aladdin (1992) - 972 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image

Well before we begin, I'd like to take a moment to say rest in peace to Robin Williams. I may never know what kind of demons he faced to result in his untimely death a few weeks ago, but I can say he was a huge asset to Hollywood and every movie he's been in. His performance as Genie in Aladdin is one of the most iconic and memorable voiced work in any animated film. He will be greatly missed. I really liked this picture that a Disney page posted on Facebook after his death so I'll post it here too:

Posted Image

Plot:
Aladdin, a street urchin, accidentally meets Princess Jasmine, who is in the city undercover. They love each other, but she can only marry a prince.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Aladdin is the first film in the Top 10 to be not from Pixar *phew*. It misses the Top 5 by a mere 17 points. 

1st place votes received: 1
2nd place votes received: 3

Trivia (courtesy of Spidey Freak):
The Genie was not the only character voiced by Robin Williams in the film. This is also him:

Posted Image

When Iago imitates Jasmine to lure Aladdin away from the lamp "Prince Alli? Or Ali? I'm here in the menagerie!", that's not Jasmine's voice but GILBERT GOTTFRIED doing the impression of Jasmine voice actress Linda Larkin! 

Jasmine was originally supposed to have a song "Call Me a Princess", written by Howard Ashman, about her putting on an act of being terribly spoiled to ward off the suitors who had come to "win" her.

After watching an intermediate test screening, Jeffrey Katzenberg ordered the Aladdin team to scrap all scriptwork, storyboards and animation they had been working on for months, without postponing the movie release date. That day came to be known in Disney Animation as "Black Friday".  

Even though the movie is set in Arabia, there are many Indian motifs that appear. The Agrabah Palace was based on the Taj Mahal, and the city the mausoleum is located in, Agra, served as the inspiration for the name "Agrabah". You can also find many elephant and multiple-armed god statue motifs that have a basis in Hindu tradition as opposed to Islamic tradition.

"A Whole New World" is the only song to win all FOUR of these major song-related categories:

Grammy for Song of the Year
Academy Award for Best Original Song
Golden Globe for Best Original Song
Grammy for Best Song Written Specifically For a Motion Picture Or For Television 

Brad Kane and Lea Salonga, the singing voices for Aladdin and Jasmine, performed the song in character at the Oscars:
http://youtu.be/TjhY393NHAc

BOF Blurb:
Spidey Freak (who else? :P):

Wow, where do I begin? This frickin' movie is probably the most influential animated film ever after Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. And I'm not just talking about Robin Williams's seminal performance. Aladdin is the template Jeffrey Katzenberg set for every Dreamworks Animation movie ever! (Well, other than Dragon). Think about it. Big name voice actors, something picked up not just by Dreamworks but also Pixar dating back to their very first Toy Story? Aladdin did it first. Pop culture joke heavy humor? Been there, done that in 1992. And yet, none of those DW movies have ever quite recaptured the magic, charm and sense of fun adventure of this astounding film.

Well, on the most superficial level, it's because no movie can ever look as gorgeous as Aladdin. There is something so warm and enchanting about that desert night sky deep purple contrasted against Agrabah's glowing gold color palette. As alluring as the sumptuous visuals are, it's the characters and their camaraderie that REALLY makes this movie sparkle and shine! This film is laden with chemistry of every kind. From Aladdin and Jasmine's romance sizzle (easily the best animated couple ever!), Jafar and Iago's villainous deuce (best villain and villainous sidekick ever!), the fondness shared between Aladdin, Abu and Magic Carpet (best hero and wingmen combo after Hans Solo and Chewbacca), to, of course, the crazy charismatic energy the Genie brings to every scene he is in (just the best). And the screenplay! 50% is probably Robin Williams being Robin Williams, but the other 50% is just as crisp. Every scene has a quotable line, the writers went all out for sure. 

This movie is not just extremely smart, funny, exciting (The Cave of Wonders escape sequence? Epicness!) and unbelievably beautiful, but it packs in enormous heart too! The fact that Aladdin treats Genie as a person with dignity as opposed to slave for hire and decides to free him over getting the girl of his dreams and lifelong wish of living in comfort validates him being voted as BOF's Best Disney Character Ever! :D That and him actually having to use his head and shrewdly tease Jafar's massive ego in order to defeat him, unlike the not-so-subtle methods many other Disney heroes employ to kill their villains (Stab, stab, cliff!). The lovely Jasmine is an underrated Disney Princess too. Standing up against forced arranged marriage in an Islamic society is pretty badass, no? Love her insistence on "I'm NOT some prize to be won!" and schooling of Aladdin on R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Jafar is a fabulous bastard and Gilbert Gottfried's Iago is amazing. "I'm gonna get a heart attack of not-surprise and die!"   :lol:

And finally, there's this.
Posted Image
God, I miss him. Thanks for making my childhood, Messieurs Robin Williams and Aladdin.

BOF Review:

Robin Williams is incredible in the Genie role, one of my most favorite works of his for sure. I grew up with this movie among other Disney classics. I don't think I can count the times I have watched Aladdin, I still watched it every time it's on TV.

It's fun, entertaining, great music, good animation, and also got lots of heart. One of the cutest, probably top 5, romances in a Disney movie. And Jafar is definitely up there in my best Disney villains list, alongside Ursula, Maleficent, Gaston, and a few others.

A
-Sam, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 19