iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

But Anna in turn is deeper than Rapunzel.

They're different enough to an extent, but they play out completely different arcs, but I thought Rapunzel's was much more natural than Anna's.  Anna's worked really well for the first half, but the second half (when I felt as if the makers didn't fully know what direction they wanted to go, it seemed like they had intentions to go darker but didn't want to scare off the family audience) seemed more staggered.

You can see clear conflict within Rapunzel's character as she develops and with each of her decisions, she goes on a full journey to progress from point A to point B making forward leaps and backtracks.  Anna on the contrary never seemed to have the inner conflict necessary to grow, she had one dimensional till the Hans twist and then swapped to a new dimension afterwards.

Now, neither of the characters are masterworks or anything but I did feel like Rapunzel got better care than Anna, and Flynn was by far the better character when compared to the Kristoff counter-part.

You can really see Tangled's influence in Frozen as well, it really seemed as if they modeled Frozen after Tangled in a lot ways.  I like both movies, but the more I look at it the better Tangled appears to be to me.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

#21: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 507 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animations)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Snow White, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs; the queen feeds her a poison apple, but Prince Charming awakens her with a kiss.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the oldest film on this list (and oldest full-length animated film in general). It misses the Top 20, but the gap to #20 is a whopping 36 points, the biggest gap yet.

IMDB trivia:
Adolf Hitler's favorite film. (lol actually, check here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029583/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2)

BOF User Review:
Wife and I started a run through Disney's animation library last night, and it only makes sense to start with the fairy tale that started it all.

One of those rare classic films that is great as a result of its influence and the fact the it still holds up to this day.  Snow White is likely the flattest aspect of the film, but thankfully there's enough charm at hand that it doesn't really mean a damn thing.  The story here flows so seamlessly it's hard to not get wrapped up in its innocence and purity.

Very much a work of art and a staple of classic cinema.
-Mattmav45, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 17

Historically, it is the first full length animated film, like Toy Story was the first full cgi animated film.

Yes, that makes it very important in animation history.

The animation holds up extremely well. Disney's use of rotoscoping (which they only use for this film and Pinocchio excessively to an extent) really paid off. A lot of the characters are very life like and I can still watch the film today and be amazed.

• Like 2

Also, Disney started to use CGI in their animated films starting with the dancing sequence in Beauty and the Beast and the following films after that.In the late 90 s, early 2000's, Disney films were strange hybrids with more and more scenes using computers and CGI. Remember those rollercoster scenes in Tarzan for example.

• Like 1

Glad The Little Mermaid made the top 25 and I loved what Spidey Freak had to say about it. :)Such a great movie.

I personally think Mulan's a better LGBT analogy. Although the late 80s/90s weren't a very accepting time so I don't know if any of it is really intentional from Disney.

• Like 2

Also, Disney started to use CGI in their animated films starting with the dancing sequence in Beauty and the Beast and the following films after that.In the late 90 s, early 2000's, Disney films were strange hybrids with more and more scenes using computers and CGI. Remember those rollercoster scenes in Tarzan for example.

Actually The Rescuers Down Under was the first film to have CGI in it or to be built around a digital environment.

I know of and remember the CGI in Aladdin (The Tiger Head on The Cave of Wonders) and Hercules (The Hydra) as well.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2