Jessie

Wally Pfister - What was he thinking?

I do agree the Avengers for being such a big scale film is odd.

You get a huge big shot and then get a TV shot of the action.

However the comment just reeked of film elitism that casual fans and audiences deplore of Hollywood. 

Off-topic but it amuses me in the era of people and critics praising and raving about HBO, GoT, Mad Men, True Detective, House Of Cards and so on, people still use "it looks like a TV show" card like a dig against a movie.

• Like 3

Off-topic but it amuses me in the era of people and critics praising and raving about HBO, GoT, Mad Men, True Detective, House Of Cards and so on, people still use "it looks like a TV show" card like a dig against a movie.

I actually liked those Tv kind of shots as you get a more personal look into the interactions of the characters fighting together.

It was just odd compared to a lot of the big scale action movies you see today. 

Sure film purists will not agree much on here.

However I think the action in TA was very much liked.

The Always Angry + Circle shot and the Long Tract action shot were quite a novelty and really added to the film. 

I'm not a purist by any means, but the action scenes in TA did not look like the 220M budget mentioned on Mojo. It was ok and enjoyable? Of course. But you live in an age where other directors can create action spectacle way above the one in Avengers with the same or a smaller amount of money.

Edited by James
  • Like 3

Posted Image

This doesn't look like much in a still bit during the film, this was a fantastic shot and is somewhat overlooked

I really liked that shot in which he's talking to BW shooting an arrow without even watching where it lands and you see a chitauri exploding in the background. In one single panning shot.

Pfister would chop that thing in 3 fancy but messy shots that just breaks the pace and vibe of the action scene into something duller.(close up of Hawkeye talking to BW, middle shot shooting the arrow behing him, close shot of the chitauri exploding)

• Like 2

I do agree that the action in many films is more grand but is it as enjoyable? 

No it is not.

The action in Godzilla, Man of Steel and TF3 and many other films was quite a spectacle.

However it was soulless and never brought a smile to oneself.

The action in the Avengers was more light spirited, had a great ensemble cast that was likable that exchanged many witty remarks and one liners.  

• Like 3

I'm not a purist by any means, but the action scenes in TA did not look like the 220M budget mentioned on Mojo. It was ok and enjoyable? Of course. But you live in an age where other directors can create action spectacle way above the one in Avengers with the same or a smaller amount of money.

I do agree with this. Anyone seen serenity? Remember that beginning never ending cut on the ship? Why couldn't Weadon apply that sort of filming technique on Avengers. It's amazing how he did so much with a small budget on that film yet with 5 times the budget he didn't improve THAT much. I'll never understand how CGI cost so much on certain films yet you get films like District 9 that have amazing CGI throughout with a fraction of the budget. If anyone can explain this to me id be grateful.
  • Like 1

I do agree that the action in many films is more grand but is it as enjoyable? 

No it is not.

The action in Godzilla, Man of Steel and TF3 and many other films was quite a spectacle.

However it was soulless and never brought a smile to oneself.

The action in the Avengers was more light spirited, had a great ensemble cast that was likable that exchanged many witty remarks and one liners.

My main problem with the MCU. It really depends on one's taste for spectacle. I liked but TF3 and MOS action scenes way more. They just left my staring in disbelief. 

I do agree with this. Anyone seen serenity? Remember that beginning never ending cut on the ship? Why couldn't Weadon apply that sort of filming technique on Avengers. It's amazing how he did so much with a small budget on that film yet with 5 times the budget he didn't improve THAT much. I'll never understand how CGI cost so much on certain films yet you get films like District 9 that have amazing CGI throughout with a fraction of the budget. If anyone can explain this to me id be grateful.

A perfect example is Maze Runner that managed to look expensive on a 40M budget, just because the director has a history in CGI and knows how to put things together. Some mega budgeted movies deserve their money, but others... 

Thanks to dash, I just remembered he did apply that technique lol.

I think the long tracking shot of the six heroes was Whedon's way of harkening back to that Serenity's shot. I remember being totally surprised at that moment, I didn't think Whedon could make that. It was really a "never seen before" shot in a comic book movie no matter how you spliced it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I think the long tracking shot of the six heroes was Whedon's way of harkening back to that Serenity's shot. I remember being totally surprised at that moment, I didn't think Whedon could make that. It was really a "never seen before" shot in a comic book movie no matter how you spliced it.

The circle shot and the track shot were a novelty. 

• Like 1

I do not know about you guys but seeing the I always Angry and Circle shot with the epic soundtrack, full volume on a home theater system is one of the coolest things I experienced in the comic book genre recently.

It is cool, would have been cooler had they not plastered that shot on every trailer.
  • Like 1