Contact (1997)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I've only watched this once, definitely need to give it another go. I thought it was a great film until the point where Arroway was transported to another planet, which was too weird for me, but overall I still felt that it was a thought provoking venture and the grandiose scale of the film was a pleasure to experience. My bias for space films and the fact that this was actually a really well crafted movie means I was always going to enjoy it. A+ rating from me. 

• Like 1

It's a pretty great movie up until the end, where it {a} basically turns into a simple Star Trek episode (original series) and {b} after that, it craps out on the theme of faith vs knowledge and hedges its bets. Still, a well-above average movie in an all-too-rare subgenre (the science fiction film that doesn't involve alien invasions or a menace that must be fought).

• Like 1

It's a pretty great movie up until the end, where it {a} basically turns into a simple Star Trek episode (original series) and {b} after that, it craps out on the theme of faith vs knowledge and hedges its bets. Still, a well-above average movie in an all-too-rare subgenre (the science fiction film that doesn't involve alien invasions or a menace that must be fought).

I wouldn't consider the ending "hedging its bets" at all.

She is put in the exact position she has dismissed her whole life, faith vs science. Only this time, she's asking people to believe her claims and take it all on faith. Which they don't, just like she never did her whole life.

That's a great moment.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider the ending "hedging its bets" at all.

She is put in the exact position she has dismissed her whole life, faith vs science. Only this time, she's asking people to believe her claims and take it all on faith. Which they don't, just like she never did her whole life.

That's a great moment.

Except that there's proof: 18 minutes passed. So the whole "faith" question becomes dubious, but the movie dodges this by not having anyone (Ellie or whoever) mention it.

From what I remember, I really enjoyed it. Jodie Foster was great in it and I felt like her character truly cared about the mission. Suspensful scene when busey was attempting to blow up the machine and eventually succeeded. But there was a second one built. Pretty cool when she drops into that machine ... not knowing if she's going to live or die at that moment. I enjoyed how she got to see her father in a serene setting and how they chatted along the beach and he was explaining that there were other places to move onto.

So I decided to blindly buy this movie, I was not disappointed.  The movie flows well for a 2 1/2 hour movie. I like the whole faith vs science angel of the film it bought approach to the sci-fi alien genre.  I agree with the ending I would like it have after the hearing and have matthew mcconaughey character step into the limbo saying that he believed her instead right after having the report come out that there was 18 hours of static.  I thought the leads did a respectable job in there acting roles.  I love how that matthew mcconaughey and jodi foster ending having two children but Jodiie Foster dies. Matthew Mcconaughey decides to join NASA to become a pilot  which leads into Interstellar. 

3.5/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1