A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

Wow Alan Menken jumping ship... Curious turnover happening nowadays.

He's still got a good relationship with Disney especially with a hit show on Broadway with Newsies and the upcoming stage version of Aladdin, wonder who's writing lyrics, I'm guessing its Glenn Slater.

I saw this coming. I even said it on another forum around the time ROTG opened. The Shrek cash-flow has slowed down and they haven't been able to deliver a consistent level of quality that will allow for them to keep the amount of employees they have.

It's sad. Because it used to be the best place to work for an animator. Meanwhile, WDAS hasn't had any lay-offs in a while and this summer they will, for the first time in a long time, have two films in development simultaneously. Here's to hoping some of the talented animators will find work there or elsewhere.

• Like 1

I saw this coming. I even said it on another forum around the time ROTG opened. The Shrek cash-flow has slowed down and they haven't been able to deliver a consistent level of quality that will allow for them to keep the amount of employees they have. It's sad. Because it used to be the best place to work for an animator. Meanwhile, WDAS hasn't had any lay-offs in a while and this summer they will, for the first time in a long time, have two films in development simultaneously. Here's to hoping some of the talented animators will find work there or elsewhere.

Dreamworks being a public company means there is little room for a film not doing well, they're trying to expand into other areas like television and theme parks but its the films that determine their fate hence why the need for 2-3 films a year. I wonder if Katzenberg will step down if Croods and Turbo don't do well,
  • Like 1

You can bet Disney will be trying to pull out a checkbook.

I wouldn't bet on it but who knows? Disney's already got a huge library, they already own Pixar, and WDAS has been doing much better as of late. WiR beat RotG pretty handily. Only reason I can see them buying DWA is for their library... But would Lasseter really want to have to produce movies for Shrek and Po? I would say Universal would be the best place to land DWA. They're already in their parks.

I wouldn't bet on it but who knows? Disney's already got a huge library, they already own Pixar, and WDAS has been doing much better as of late. WiR beat RotG pretty handily.Only reason I can see them buying DWA is for their library... But would Lasseter really want to have to produce movies for Shrek and Po?I would say Universal would be the best place to land DWA. They're already in their parks.

Well I was being more sarcastic, especially since Katzeburg probably doesn't want to go back to Disney, and Disney would truly hold a Hollywood monopoly, especially in animation, so I don't see that, but I can see Disney making an attempt. If they had to sell I could see Fox or back to Viacom or even Time Warner. I think Universal is happy with Illumination, though FOX was content with Blue Sky and they still decided to distribute DWA, so I see WB, FOX, and Uni in that order, theoretically, if they did have to sell.

I forgot Universal had Illumination... FOX also has Blue Sky already... WB does sound like the best bet.

WB's been trying to re-kickstart it's animation, but I haven't heard much lately. If they do lose the Lengendary Pictures deal, though I hope not, then they should really consider buying DWA. They can possibly do with those characters what they did with Bugs and Daffy. Plus, Time Warner also owns Cartoon Network, HBO, and TBS, check. WB characters are promoted at Six Flags, check. Warner is good with merchandising, check. Warner should pounce. Then we could maybe see some good Hanna-Barbera toons by DWA also.

WB's been trying to re-kickstart it's animation, but I haven't heard much lately. If they do lose the Lengendary Pictures deal, though I hope not, then they should really consider buying DWA. They can possibly do with those characters what they did with Bugs and Daffy. Plus, Time Warner also owns Cartoon Network, HBO, and TBS, check. WB characters are promoted at Six Flags, check. Warner is good with merchandising, check. Warner should pounce. Then we could maybe see some good Hanna-Barbera toons by DWA also.

Warner Bros would be a suitable buyer as their animation library is just as big if not more bigger than Disneys with not only Looney Tunes but also Hanna Babera, MGM which is basically Tom and Jerry, Cartoon Network properties like Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10 plus Thundercats and DC but WB was never really a feature animation player, it was shorts and television but they had films like Iron Giant, Viacom made sense as they were able to release films through Paramount and TV shows via Nickelodeon.I think Disney are happy with Pixar and with their own animation studio, stuff like Marvel and Star Wars makes sense as theyve had mixed success with big budget live action films,

Croods looks much more promising than RotG. Croods actually looks funny, which might sound petty -- but that's a major selling point for family animation.

I don't get some of the direction/changes going on in this genre -- seems like people are pushing more and more away from what works/sells and then don't understand what went wrong.

I think both RotG and Croods looked most appealing when they weren't being marketed as laugh-out-loud comedies. Despite what people think is the right formula for a kids film the most successful ones tend to be those that have a meaningful dramatic component.