baumer

Top 10 horror films by Country

This was an idea another website I write for had and I think it's a good one.  He's a very big horror fan and he's doing a top 10 horror piece by country.  I was lucky enough to start it off.  My top ten is listed below......I'm interested in your thoughts.  I know there are horror fans here from all over the world.  What do you think are the top ten horror films from Australia, Germany, China and so on?

Here's the link to the artcicle...starting with number 10 and 9.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/24854#comment-1489686

Making a Canadian film can be daunting at times. There’s a lot of talent in the Great White North and there is funding available from different film boards, but getting that funding isn’t always easy. It’s like going to a bank, they want you to have money before they will lend you money, which is kind of silly when you think about it. But, in recent years, with Lionsgate becoming a major film studio, the content produced by Canadian money and Canadian ideas, has increased.

This isn’t to say we don’t understand the difference between a homegrown Canadian film and a film that is financed by Canadian money. Just like The Terminator is a film made and written by a Canadian, as is Ghostbusters, these are still American films as they were made with American money.

Having said that, to choose the top ten Canadian horror films of all time is very daunting. There are some films from years past that are considered classics and there are some that have come out in the last decade or so that are also considered to be as good as anything before.

To be considered Canadian, these films have to be produced by Canadian money. The talent involved doesn’t have to be Canadian. Again, just as Harry Potter really seems to be made by Brits, it’s 100% a Hollywood film as it was produced by Warner Brothers.

Two caveats to this is that I am not including any of the Saw sequels in this list. Even though they are produced by Lionsgate, originally, it was a completely independent film. LG bought the rights to it after they became a company. And two, I am a very big horror fan, hence my idea of quality horror film might differ from yours.

10. Prom Night (Lynch, 1980)

canadian-horror_prom-night_1980_top10filStarring the biggest scream queen of all time, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Canadian national treasure, Leslie Nielsen, Prom Night tells the story of a crazed masked killer (is there any other kind?) who seeks revenge against the teens who he thinks accidentally killed a little girl some six years ago. Curtis was fresh off her success in Halloween and it wasn’t until she came on board that this film got the funding to proceed. This is one of the films that is considered as a Canuxploitation film – yes, this is an actual term.

9. Happy Birthday to Me (Thompson, 1981)

canadian-horror_happy-birthday-to-me_topFollowing its release in 1981, Happy Birthday to Me became the highest grossing Canadian film in history. It was short-lived as Porky’s took the record the very next year. There are so many things wrong with the film. The twist ending was filmed as an afterthought, there is no released soundtrack, Glenn Ford was drunk for most of his scenes and even its iconic poster which featured a male about to be impaled with a shish kebab filled with meat and veggies, was misleading. It says, “John will never eat shish kebab again.” The problem is, there is no character in the movie named John. And yet, the film just works. Part of the reason it does is because the murders really are creative. Sometimes a film can be a mess behind the scenes and still deliver when it counts (See Jaws).

• Like 1

Spain: La Cabina (the translation is, literally, The Phone Booth)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065513/

It is a short movie (35 minutes) done for TV. It is quite iconical here. The plot is simple: a man trapped in a phone booth and the anguish generated because he can not leave. It is starred by one of the best Spanish actors ever, José Luis López Vázquez. The telefilm won an Emmy in 1973.