baumer

Baumer's Summer Game - Darkelf #1, Grim22 #2, laguy03 #3..final words from baumer pg 95

Two days ago, after a year of uncertainty, I became a full time member of my work.  Before that, I was on kind of like a trial run with the bus company.  But Thursday my whole class got their full time status.  It's an increase of about $6.00 an hour in pay, full benefits, access to as much overtime as you want, vacation and so on.  

so yes, there will be cash prizes this year.  I just haven't decided how much yet.

• Like 12

I'm liking your post, because of your new full time job, not the cash prizes. I could care less if we win anything for playing, I'm just stoked you found full time employment after the past few turbulent years. Congrats baumer! Proud of you man :)

• Like 5

I'm liking your post, because of your new full time job, not the cash prizes. I could care less if we win anything for playing, I'm just stoked you found full time employment after the past few turbulent years. Congrats baumer! Proud of you man :)

Yes, thanks so much Matt.  I remember I even asked you about your job in BC.  I had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my life.  

Yes, thanks so much Matt. I remember I even asked you about your job in BC. I had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

None of us do when something unexpectedly bad happens. The only way to get through it is keep your head up and know deep down that the turbulence won't last forever.

Funny you should mention my job. I just got a full time position with Shaw that's salaried hourly at 31,200 per year plus commissions, bonuses, benefits, stock options, vacation and sick pay with a chance at a raise every 6 months up to 3%. I'm one happy guy right now! Also I got my very first car too. Life's good man.

• Like 4

None of us do when something unexpectedly bad happens. The only way to get through it is keep your head up and know deep down that the turbulence won't last forever.

Funny you should mention my job. I just got a full time position with Shaw that's salaried hourly at 31,200 per year plus commissions, bonuses, benefits, stock options, vacation and sick pay with a chance at a raise every 6 months up to 3%. I'm one happy guy right now! Also I got my very first car too. Life's good man.

That is so frikkin awesome.  I'm so happy for you.  That's a hell of a way to start your life off in the "real world".

Congrats Matt, sincerely, I'm so happy for you.

• Like 2

That is so frikkin awesome. I'm so happy for you. That's a hell of a way to start your life off in the "real world".

Congrats Matt, sincerely, I'm so happy for you.

Thanks for the support baumer! Of course that's not including taxes, but still. I remember just a few short years ago I was at the end of my rope, I was so done with this world and my life and I was going to end it all. My mom stopped me and I spent one night in the psych ward. I am so very thankful to still be here right now. Joy and happiness is occurring daily in one small way or another and I would've missed that all.

It just goes to show no matter how low or hopeless you feel, eventually it will get better. It's cliché for a reason: It's true.

I haven't even graduated high school and I have a better job then most of my friends who have degrees. I just can't believe where I am right now. I must've done something right in my life.

For the first time I'm excited for my future and it feels incredible!

• Like 8

You know, I actually understand how you feel.  Not to say that I contemplated suicide, but when I was at my lowest point, I really had no idea how it was going to get better.  I got this job, literally, with one more unemployment pay check left.  ONE.  After that I was going to have to go on government assistance and that would have ruined me.  I've been working in one way or another since I was 12.  I also frauded the government when I collected my first pay from Transit while still collecting my last unemployment check.  When they confronted me about it, I told them that because I am now working, I will be paying a lot of income tax to them so them shouldn't fine me.  I didn't find out until this year when I did my taxes that they must have liked what I said because they didn't fine me.  So life, at this very moment is good.  I'm happy and life is starting new again.  

So the whole point to this is that I know how you feel and I'm so glad your mom was there for you, the world is obviously a better place with you in it.  :)

• Like 10

You know, I actually understand how you feel. Not to say that I contemplated suicide, but when I was at my lowest point, I really had no idea how it was going to get better. I got this job, literally, with one more unemployment pay check left. ONE. After that I was going to have to go on government assistance and that would have ruined me. I've been working in one way or another since I was 12. I also frauded the government when I collected my first pay from Transit while still collecting my last unemployment check. When they confronted me about it, I told them that because I am now working, I will be paying a lot of income tax to them so them shouldn't fine me. I didn't find out until this year when I did my taxes that they must have liked what I said because they didn't fine me. So life, at this very moment is good. I'm happy and life is starting new again.

So the whole point to this is that I know how you feel and I'm so glad your mom was there for you, the world is obviously a better place with you in it. :)

It always seems that there's no options left to fix your problem doesn't it? But if you're a good person then (I don't believe in God, but I do believe that everything happens for a reason) something good will happen right at your lowest point. Its happened 3 separate times now when I feel life is shitty to have an unexpected door open right under my nose.

I tried to get on ei, but I had been out of work too long. Luckily cascadia hired me and led me to where I am now. Would I be at Shaw right now if I hadnt been through that experience? I doubt it. Good or bad everything happens for a reason and even if you don't see it in the moment eventually it'll become clear that you were meant to go in a different direction.

I'm very glad my mom was there also, she's saved me I don't even know how many times. When I needed her most she's always there day or night. She's a very special woman and a gift to this world. She raised me right.

Aww baumer thank you! Karma rewards those who are good. We have both just been rewarded for our good deeds.

• Like 3

I believe in karma too, Matt.  I don't think you have to be religious to be a good person, your actions dictate who you are.  There's a really cool line from Robin Good POT when Costner talks about nobility.  I'm not going to look it up so I don't know it verbatim, but basically he says something like...I've seen knights panic at the first site of battle and I've seen the lowliest peasant pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse.  Nobility isn't something you born with, it's defined by your actions.

And that's the way to live imo.  I'm far from perfect but I do try to be kind to others and I try not to judge, it's not always easy but I think if you are a good person, somehow the universe will reward you at some point.  

• Like 2

Your stories have reminded me of my struggles. I lost my mom to cancer in 2008, less than a year after I graduated in college (I lost my dad when I was 9). Then my brother and I were asked to leave the house that we were renting months after. I was jobless for like two years. I depended on my aunt for my finances. There was this two-week period in 2010 when I had to survive by just eating two pieces of boiled plantains every day.

I thought about ending my life but I knew it was not the way my story should end. I then decided to borrow money from my college classmate who also decided to ask help from my other friends. We met and he gave me this small but very important amount of money which I then used to apply for a job.

I got accepted in an English academy that caters to Koreans. I know my English is not perfect but I have always been willing to learn and improve my self. On my third month, a Korean mom approached me and asked me to teach her son online once they get back to Korea. I was clueless about online teaching. I also told her I didn't have a laptop. She came back the next day with a laptop with her. She told me to teach her son for a month for free as a payment for the second-hand laptop that she gave me. She then recommended me to three of her friends. In an instant I had four online students. That was the beginning of my life-changing experience.

I am now very happy with my life. Of course, just like everyone I still have dreams and wants. However, my experiences in life have taught me not to forget the things I have because of the things that I want. I am taking my time. I've learned not to rush things. I know time will come when I will be able to achieve the things that I would like to achieve.

Last February I resigned from my job as an ESL instructor (my former (and third) boss sucks) and just decided to be a freelance tutor. The pay is way better although a lot of hard work is needed since I need to find my students and sell my self. I still teach online in the evening. I am planning to get CELTA and TOEFL certificates in the future so that I can really call myself a 'real' instructor.

And yes, BOM and this forum was and has been my escape during those terrible times. I am very fortunate I found these places where I can share my love for movies and interact with people from different parts of the world. I really like this forum.

Enough with the drama. Let me be the victor of this game. lol

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 15

Me and Matt's struggles seem like nothing compared to what you went through.  You are one tough muther.  Congratulations on your success and on turning your life around.  I'm seriously in awe of you.  

• Like 3

Me and Matt's struggles seem like nothing compared to what you went through.  You are one tough muther.  Congratulations on your success and on turning your life around.  I'm seriously in awe of you.  

Ha ha. I am not really sure but I think this has been the first time I shared this. I am really lucky I was born a positive person (I got it from my mom) ha ha. She taught me a lot. I saw how she struggled (She was my father's second wife out of like six wives) to raise my brother and I. I always wondered where she was getting the money. It's just unfortunate she died young (50 years old) and that I can't share my success with her anymore. I always share my story to my Korean students. Koreans have this tendency to complain too much about life...that they don't have a phone...that they study too much...blah blah blah... Sometimes I jokingly tell them, what if I killed your parents. What would you do? I also show them pictures of African people who don't have anything just for them to realize how lucky and blessed they are. It's all about having positive disposition. Complaining about life won't solve anything. 

• Like 1

I remember exchanging messages with Matt before through PM. I was aware of his struggles as well. I am very happy for him. And he is right, it's really awesome to be a good person. Making decisions is easy if you know your values. #dramaanthology

• Like 2