Jonwo

Can Illumination maintain their hot streak?

Illumination Entertainment in the last five years has managed to become a big hitter in the animation business despite having only released five films and this is mostly due to Despicable Me and the Minions but all their films have successful due to modest budgets. With the expansion to two fims a year from next year, I wonder if Illumination can continue their hot streak, I do think that they're very complacent in terms of storytelling and if they're not careful, they could have a misstep as we have seen with DWA although not to the same extent, 

I think they could maintain their streak with the DM-franchise. The first film was a sleeper animated hit with $543M WW. The sequel made much more with $970M WW. Then they also got films like The Lorax which made $348M WW.

And now, Minions is currently playing in theaters, let's see how far it could go WW.

Honestly I don't think so:

- DM and Minions are a monstre that came out of nowhere but it won't last forever

- Lorax is based on a pre-existing material (as the Grinch will be)

There is really too much competition in the CGI Animation genre to be always a winner (if you're not Pixar or, lately, Disney Animation)

I think they could maintain their streak with the DM-franchise. The first film was a sleeper animated hit with $543M WW. The sequel made much more with $970M WW. Then they also got films like The Lorax which made $348M WW.

And now, Minions is currently playing in theaters, let's see how far it could go WW.

The Lorax while successful in the US didn't do well that OS partly because Dr Seuss isn't as beloved OS as it is in the US, it wasn't helped that Universal had a staggered OS release which likely hurt it as well.

I think The Secret Life of Pets will do very well. DM1 numbers is very possible.

It's in a very tough slot opening against Star Trek Beyond and facing competition from both Dory and Ice Age 5 and both films will dominate OS which may mean that it may be squeezed out.

I think Illumination needs to take more risks, apart from DM, their films have been a bit generic. I'd like to see do another hybrid film and perhaps a live action film, they're not exclusively an animation studio and I think they could do a fun live action family comedy within their budget threshold. The Dr Seuss biopic which they were developing with Johnny Depp could be a winner and slightly more mature than what their usual output

Edited by Jonwo

At least Illumination doesn't have huge budgets. They can afford for one of their movies to disappoint, they won't end up in a DreamWorks situation.

Chris Meledandri seems more level headed compared to Jeffrey Katzenberg and being backed by Universal means they can weather a flop.

I, for one, am very excited for Pets. Saw the trailer and adored it. The crowd seemed to love it too.

I think yes, they can maintain their #2 position after Disney and Pixar.

Currently they are at #2. I think they're well ahead of DWA.