K1stpierre

Phoenix (2015)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

​the first half fails to deliver what the interesting premise promised, nothing really happens until half way through the movie. Only when she assumes her "new identity" things get substantially better, culminating in the great last ~15 minutes. It would have worked better as a short film. 70/100

Phoenix is an intriguing film. I don't feel comfortable rating it as I kept on hearing about a outstanding ending, and I don't know, I was underwhelmed. It's a great ending, but I expected more closure personally. That said, I can't really fault the movie for my own expectations, as everything else in the movie was exemplary as I heard. Nina Hoss is astounding in the role, and the twisty plot is always intriguing. It's pretty much a cool twist on the "mistaken identity" archetypal plot, and it was just fascinating. Phoenix is definitely worth checking out, and it's an excellent film overall; the faults of this film for me are simply personal expectations, and I know that's why I'm not gushing over it.

Don't get me wrong. I recognize the ending as good; it's just it's been hyped up for me by so many people, I expected something more in the vein of Whiplash which it definitely isn't. I look forward to revisiting this in six months and actually being able to assess it.

A more traditional closure would make the movie less interesting for me, it ends exactly where it should end, and with a great scene to boot

As for the movie itself, I didn't see it in ideal conditions, so I'm pretty sure I will like it more when I see it again.