Kalo

Kalo's top 25 favorite films of 2015 - Countdown complete #1 film on page 4.

15 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I loved TM, but Prometheus remains as the best Ridley work in this decade 

I am probably more easy on Prometheus than a lot of people,  I even liked it. but there were way too many things that happened in that movie that didn't make sense for me to love it. 

#5 Creed 

giphy.gif

Being a longtime Rocky fan, I was intrigued when I heard they were doing a spin-off about Apollo Creed's son, but I wasn't sure if it would pay off, but after seeing Fruitvale Station and seeing how great Ryan Coogler and Michael B Jordan together in that I had my hopes.

giphy.gif

Creed completely exceeded my expectations, Michael B Jordan and Sylvester Stallone had excellent chemistry together and many of their scene had great emotional impact, the whole passing the torch mentor almost father son they had was great to witness. the direction was spot on, the camera work was fantastic some of really beneficial uses of takes in the fight sequences that gave the movie a personal feel. this movie was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be and actually brought tears to my eyes at parts. it also took the iconic rocky theme and create a almost as memorable creed theme that is nearly as good as the original. there is really very little to critique about this film, pretty everything they did worked. and it is right up there with the orignal Rocky as my favorite of the series. fantastic movie!

My Grade: A+

Favorite Scene: The Final Fight

Favorite Character: Rocky/Adonis

Favorite Performance: Sly

• Like 2

#4 The Revenant 

giphy.gif

Sorry I couldn't help myself. but I am serious, it's not a joke I loved The Revenant, It was one of my most anticipated films of 2016 and I wasn't disappointed. the story is pretty straight forward man is betrayed and left for dead. man survives and hunts down the man who betrayed him. he was also mailed by a bear and had to sleep in a horse empire strikes back style! 

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

This movie was gorgeous to look at Alejandro González Iñárritu vivid visual direction with the all natrual lighting really paid off and gave them film a crisp harsh beauty- it was kind of mesmerizing to be honest. I am kind of a sucker for pioneer tales and one with this kind of talent a budget behind it and it really gave of the real of a pioneer epic which hasn't really been done in the modern age of cinema.

The cast was fantastic. did leo give the best performance of the year? maybe maybe not.. but he ate a raw bison heart so that's gotta count for something. I personally thought he was excellent so I can't complain.

giphy.gif

And then there is Tom Hardy who pretty much steals every scene he is in as the despicable John Fitzgerald. It's also a reunion for Leo and Tom (they were in Inception together) so I guess it's kind of fitting that the film that put Hardy in the eye stream eye would be, Leo first win and Hardy's first nom. I predicted that about a year ago in the forums btw!

I really loved this movie and didn't really find it boring at all, it was much better than Birdman imo, and deserves the recognition it gets.

Favorite Scene: Leo Sleeping in a horse 

Favorite Character: Hugh Glass

Favorite Performance: hard to choose between Leo and Tom

Award winner best cinematography - according to Kalo 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I am probably more easy on Prometheus than a lot of people,  I even liked it. but there were way too many things that happened in that movie that didn't make sense for me to love it. 

Which things? Most of these 'plot holes' will be explained in the sequel.....

The Revenant was a huge disappointment to me, it has a great start, but, that's all, the second and third act are terrible to say the minimum, it seems to me that this movie was made with the only reason to show everything that an actor can do to win an Oscar (and the strategy worked, so, congrats to the director, lol). The only good things was the visual, easily the most beautiful movie that I ever watched, and, the performance of the King, he deserved an Oscar, too bad that the academy is xenophobic

#3 Room 

giphy.gif

Room is one of the examples of a movie that went completely under my radar, I didn't even know about it until like a month before it was released.  but when I heard the premise and saw the trailer I knew I had to see it.

This movie blow me away, and it really has it's phenomenal chemistry and performances from it's two leads. Brie Larson and Ma and Jacob Tremblay as Jack. they are both outstanding and make these characters completely believable. the way Jacob reacts to the outside world is priceless. along with his clinginess to his mother and shyless after having to interact with someone other than his mother. and I feel to get that kind of performance out of an eight year old (maybe seven depending on when it was film). you have to give credit to director Lenny Abrahamson. who brings to book to screen adaption to life so vividly and immersively that it is breathtaking and heartbreaking.

Unlike many oscar bait fare Room actually had a really strong story to tell. I haven't read the book, but considering the screenplay was written by author Emma Donoghue, I'm thinking it's pretty fantastic. 

giphy.gif

The Camerawork and editing really were great, using angles from low down to play Jack's size and make everything feel larger than life. Room somehow felt alive and it was brilliant. I loved this movie. you need to check it out if you haven't yet. 

Favorite Scene: Jack's escape 

Favorite Character: Jack

Favorite Performance: Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay 

Award winner best actor Jacob Tremblay - according to Kalo 

Award winner best actress Brie Larson - according to Kalo 

Award winner best adapted screenplay - according to Kalo 

• Like 1

#2 Mad Max: Fury Road

apBtm01.gif?noredirect

I'm not sure there is really much to say about this that hasn't already been said Mad Max Fury Road was...

tumblr_nm6qz5esNM1qka6nwo2_500.gif

Amazing and stunningly gorgeous visually...

tumblr_nnqjhsnHdF1u62kxvo1_500.gif

Completely insane and brought action films and visual storytelling to a whole new level.

mad-max-fury-road-8.gif?w=696&h=286&crop

Impeccably inventive and fully utilized its steampunk post-apocalyptic world..

tumblr_n9fpv2gZDo1s3y9slo1_500.gif

Emotionally impactful, full of memorable characters with great story arcs and fully realized motivations that were vivid played out with minimal use of dialogue...

mad-max-fury-road-explosions.gif

I mean look at it just look at it?

madmax-furyroad-gifs-36-26615.gif

Oh What a film what a lovely lovely film!

mad-max-tom-hardy-thumbs-up.gif

Tom Hardy approves of this. 

My Grade: A++

Favorite Scene: The final Showdown/Nux's sacrifice 

Favorite Character: Max Nux, and Imperator Furiosa 

Favorite Performance: Charlize Theron 

Award winner best picture/tied - according to Kalo 

Award winner best art direction - according to Kalo 

Award winner best action film ever made - according to Kalo 

Award winner best visual effects - according to Kalo 

Award winner best Editing - according to Kalo 

Award winner best make-up - according to Kalo 

Edited by Kalo

Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Logo.gif

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY NOT SO FAR AWAY...

I grow up with Star Wars. it was just in my blood to like these movies and watched them, as a child I was completely captivated by the imagination that went into making this vast world. inhabited with thousands of planets and aliens, and most importantly the force. the force is perhaps the most interesting and exciting fictional element ever created. it is an energy force composed of good and evil and it in everything. there is something very spiritual and empowering about this, and if you are religious it can really register to you on s spiritual level. the depictions of good and evil in these films is so crystal clear showing humans as moral creatures and the choices we making push further away or closer to the light. through this concept star wars has inspired me to want to be a better man. it depicts the conflict of the soul so brilliantly in many ways I find way more truth in star wars than in most realistic historical dramas.

However not only did it create this beautiful moral complexity. it was also full of wonderful memorable characters and places that would become so familiar as to almost feel like old friends of sorts, in fact star wars is so dear to me that I find it hard to review it becuase one, I'm afraid I will sound like a total nutcase and two it has been such a constant and integral part of my life that it is hard to put into words what it means to me and it would take a very long time, and Look at this I haven't even started talking about The Force Awakens yet. 

I remember after George Lucas made Revenge of the Sith, he said that was it, that was the last Star Wars movie the story was complete. I didn't believe him at first. surely star wars is too gigantic and timeless for it just to slowly die out. I can remember making lists of movies I was looking forward to most and I would in faith put star wars VII at the top in hopes that it would someday be made. and as there years past I started to doubt the possibility of another star wars film ever seeing the light of day, I kind of moved on.

There not being a star wars movie for a while, was a good thing for me, becuase there was a time when I was just too into this franchise it was kind of scary to be honest. I'm glad I got interested in other things started loving other movies, started interacting with people maybe lol. but I took a step back and although star wars still held a special place in my heart, it was a little more healthy place.

That being said I still dreamed there would be another star wars film made. and on Oct 30th 2012. George Lucas relieved that he was retiring, selling his company to Disney and that... there were going to be more star wars movies! I remember watching this on a youtube video, and I couldn't believe it I remember replaying him saying there were going to be more star wars movies. I was in shock. I remember calling just about everyone I knew, I called my best friend and jumped for joy and screamed like a little girl. the one movie my dream movie that I wanted to see was actually going to happen. and I feel incredibly blessed to have that becuase i know there are so many people who never have there dreams come true, granted it was just a movie dream and not my main dream by any movies. but it was beyond surreal.

and then of course it obviously became the movie would anticipate and look forward to more than any other. I must have watched that teaser over a hundred times. it was unreal seeing. this is going to stay my most anticipated movie ever because.. well it's too freaking nerve wracking and exhausting to look forward to something that much and my expectations can of course never be met. and well they weren't really. but it was still amazing.

Okay now to the real movie if you read all that bless you, seriously you are a sweet-heart for that. If you wanna just know what I thought of The Force Awakens start here

Okay opening day was insane, I saw this movie with like twelve other people and the atmosphere was electric, everyone was giddy with excitement for the Force Awakens, and it felt so weird actually being at this point in time. and Then the opening crawl came on, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS was flying in words across the screen, and the crowd went insane with applause. and here I was going to actually watch this movie this little two hour movie, that I had spent way more time than anyone should thinking about this moment. and well sure it wasn't the most original story it was kind a sort of retelling of a New Hope. but it felt like star wars, the worlds were there, the score that unforgettable score was there setting the tone of star wars. and then I get to the strongest points of this the integral part that every film that bares the title star wars should possessive. Unforgettable, enduring characters that I loved, some old and some new. and the fight of good vesus evil.  

gif-rey-star-wars-the-force-awakens-Favi

Rey:

Rey is an instant icon of a character. and Daisy Ridley brought her to life with great dignity and grace. along with giving maybe the best performance in a star wars movie period. she that good. she is this character who is all alone on this planet. not really living but wait for something to happen, she is waiting for her family. but sometimes in order for things to change you have to make that change for yourself, she is this character who is so focused on her future that she is sionoustaious holding onto her past. in fact there is this subtle moment of the movie where she is cleaning some parts she scavenged, and she looks and is set back for a second at an old woman who is doing this same thing, she knows that if something isn't this could very well be her someday. 

gif-rey-star-wars-the-force-awakens-Favi

but a series of events occur that give her a choice, she can stay here and wait or take action and do something about it, she takes action.

however this is not the end of her character arc. even though now she is on the grand adventure with rouge run away Finn and BB-8 who carries vital information on the last Jedi Luke Skywalker. and she has met up with the coolest smuggler in the galaxy.. she still is focused to go back home afraid to face her destiny. and it'a funny in a scene perhaps the best scene of the entire movie, she scolds Finn for running away, while they are at Maz Kanata's palace. 

when she is doing the very same thing! Sorry there is going to be some spoilers further on if you're one of the few people who haven't seen this movie well, you probably don't really care but don't say I didn't warn ya!

1b4d42f0-9609-0133-a002-0e7c926a42af.gif

He leaves then she feels something call to her.. she walks down a stairway which brings her to a box, and what is in that box it is Luke Skywalker's lightsaber that's what! it   She touches it and we're given possibly the most epic awesome scene in the entire movie, her force vision. or visions 

through this series of visions, The Knights of Ren, being left alone on Jakku as a child. torment pain.. hope. and it's this point she is confronted with with her destiny she has the Force, she can become a Jedi. she can stop this evil, maybe it's her who can bring balance to the force. and this is where that mary sue argument kind of debunks in my opinion, she could be this gung ho like person and be like sure I do it no problem, she see this and she is terrified, why? maybe because she is human and three demencial well rounded character?  She says she wants to have nothing to do with it and literally runs ways and afterwords is hunted down and taken captive by Kylo Ren. 

cSuJUkN.gif

Now here is the reason I believe the force was so easy for her to tap into, two actually, she is obviously incredibly strong in the force, and has some kind of chosen one complex or is an offspring of the greatest Jedi ever. maybe even two Jedi. and becuase of the Force almost being exclusively being used by dark side users at this time and is incredibly out of balance, and because it wills for her to use it and is calling for it to use it, it appears easy for her to use. and it is also why I believe she was able to best Kylo Ren, that and that he was severely injured. and there is also a possibility she was tapping into the dark side just a little.  

which brings me to her final resolution she is a person who throughout the movie who constantly appears to be running from her destiny and away from danger. until that final fight Finn is down. Rey is down, The Dark Side has won.. and then this happens

(14) Tumblr

She uses the force takes hold of the lightsaber and embraces her destiny! and the crowd goes wild! seriously I saw this movie four times and at least the first two times this was the loudest applause in the entire movie. and is my other favorite moment of the film. yeah pretty much all the best part of this movie involve Rey in one way or another.

(14) Tumblr

(btw it wasn't easy finding Rey fighting with a lightsaber gif)

and the fight choreography was interesting, it was very raw. they were totally fighting for their lives and while it wasn't the prettiest star wars duel choreography wise, it was very fitting considering neither duelist is completely trained (or a complete novice on Rey's Part). I also love that this is actually the first time a duel takes place in a forest. and it is utilized nicely. a hope I had for the movie that was fulfilled. 

so back to Rey starts out thinking of her Future, alone, ends facing her destiny with friends, and takes it even further by finding Luke to the very last scene she approaches him lightsaber in hand with no words. but it is obviously she is saying "train Me' and thus ends her complete transition and character arc and starts a whole new, whole giving in my opinion maybe the best ending ever in a star wars film and possibly the biggest cliffhanger ever... and there there is the question of who her father is it Luke? man it's so gut wrenching. so yeah I pretty much describe the entire force awakens through the characterization and story arc of Rey. when looked at through that viewpoint maybe it doesn't look all that much like A New Hope After all does it. so yeah she is like maybe my favorite fictional character since Luke Skywalker who is pretty much my favorite character ever.

The-Force-Awakens-Ending-gif.gif

There were other great character here as well, I loved Poe, he was this awesome swager happy go lucky pilot and was little under utilized if you asked me and I hope he gets a bigger role for EP VIII. he as also just really insanely hot.

Tumblr

And Finn ended up being a really interesting character with interesting character arc of his own if you asked me despite my reservations about John Boyega prior to seeing him act. Han is great to see again and chewy as well, it was cool seeing and Luke for the very brief moment we got him. and then there is Kylo Ren. probably my second favorite character in the film who almost has the reverse character ach as Rey, he is not a Darth Vader, he is a loose canon emotional, unsure of himself. and helps to make him a really interesting character, who motivations that while you really cannot agree with, you can at least see his point of view to an extent, and also has one of the most emotional scenes in the film, Han Death, in my opinion needed to happen, this movie played way too much safe and needed that tug and boy did it work, it was gut wrenching and Adam Driver and Harrison Ford played it out beautifully.  

12-kylo-poe.gif

Now yes, The Force Awakens had weaknesses, The Starkiller base plote device was lazy, some of the political stuff was really rushed and undeveloped, Leia wasn't given much to do. and I feel some of the planets could have been a little more imaginative, but I have to give props to JJ. Abrams, he has maybe the hardest job ever pleasing an massive multi-generational audience, and a tough one at that, but imo he pulled it off. And his strong; suite characters and bringing great performances out his his actors really paid off in spades here. I absolutely loved this movie I cannot wait to get it on Blu-ray and watch it 100 more times.

Boy I told you this was going to be a long review. I figured if The Force Awakens is topping my list I got give it a review worthy of that, which is part of the reason I put it off so long. hope you enjoyed reading!

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

wow yeah that wasn't the longest review I've ever written in my life. the sad thing is I still could have made it longer :P 

btw sorry about some of the spelling errors. it's 2 in the morning and I'll try and fix them tomorrow. 

Edited by Kalo

41 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I love MM, pure masterpiece, SW is a good reboot of the first movie, but between the reboot of JP and SW, I choose JP, oh, and you write really well, you should be a critic

Thank-you. that's kind of what I'm aiming for. 

• Like 1