johnboy3434

Question for old-timers: What the Hell was with My Big Fat Greek Wedding's box office run?

11 hours ago, Telemachos said:

It had a long, slow rollout and really stuck a chord with older audiences and almost anyone from an immigrant family. Almost everyone could relate to it and it was the sort of movie you could take your parents or grandparents to.

Well my family wasn't emigrants, and could still relate to it a tons, of course we are descants of Austrians/Prussians (basically German), on my dad

s side, which has quite big and loud character traits, and we have a huge family so there you go. 

• Like 1

I was a teenager when that came out, and I distinctly remember people of all colors talking it up. Seriously, my whiter-than-white Irish-Welsh family loved it, our Puerto Rican neighbors were huge fans (they told my mom that, except for the fact that it was about Greeks in Chicago, that family onscreen, all boisterous, crazy, and annoyingly affectionate could have been any Puerto Rican family from the Bronx), and all of my black and Asian friends and acquaintances in high school mentioned it and mentioned how much their families enjoyed it. It may have been a chick flick starring two thirtysomethings, but it was also a movie about family that everyone, even teens, could relate to, which made it a four-quad smash. 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

"Now, you are family. Okay. All my life, I had a lump at the back of my neck, right here. Always, a lump. Then I started menopause and the lump got bigger from the "hormonees." It started to grow. So I go to the doctor, and he did the bio... the b... the... the bios... the... b... the "bobopsy." Inside the lump he found teeth and a spinal cord. Yes. Inside the lump was my twin."

• Like 2