baumer

Romancing the Stone (1984)

Grade it  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Romancing the Stone coasts by solely thanks to its stars' chemistry. There's nothing remarkable about the action scenes or script. Silvestri's score actively hurts the film as it is much too easy-going for it to be a fun film. The romance is underdeveloped despite the film spending a lot of time on it. Still, there's some fun to be found in Zemeckis's direction here, and the climax is wacky fun. Danny DeVito manages to steal the show by essentially playing himself too. Romancing the Stone isn't memorable at all, and it comes off as weak compared to other films with the cast and crew. It's a shame this is Zemeckis's only straightforward adventure film. C

I always thought that this movie was a lot of fun.  Douglas and Turner had great chemistry and Douglas brought a lot of charisma to the role.  I agree that there isn't anything incredible about the story, but the ending is a blast and for the most part it's pure fun.  I enjoy this one quite a bit.

B+