aabattery

AABATTERY's Top 25 of 2016 and Top 15 of 2016 of 2017 | Two lists for the price of one!

fdAiTd4.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 95%

Box Office: 18.1M

I forgot there was a The in the title when I made this. Woops. Regardless, this is a great movie. Hailee Steinfeld is the fucking bomb and I'm looking forward to whatever she does next; she's absolutely fantastic in this. The writing is top notch; endlessly relatable and hilarious at the same time, it's a shame how little it made. Nadine is shockingly likable considering how she was kind of a jerk for most of the film. I can't actually think of anything to fault it on. It's just good. A solid coming-of-age comedy, the likes of which we haven't seen in a while. Maybe parts of it are a little cliche but life kind of is sometimes. Of all the releases of 2016, I think this one might be one that sticks around.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 5

RsdO0gy.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 89%

Box Office: 20.8M

This one has grown on me a lot since I saw it. It's definitely the most interesting approach to making a biopic that I've seen, and that's what made it great. This movie is gorgeous; every shot feels deliberate which goes perfectly with Jackie's character. Natalie Portman is brilliant. This is a fantastically nuanced look at how such a famous figure dealt with grief and even if it's not entirely accurate, it made for an incredibly fascinating watch. My hot take right after I watched it was that it felt a bit cold and sterile but after I've thought about it, I think that was actually one of the movies strengths. The fact that this got shut out of the Oscars is a bit of a tragedy in my opinion; it deserved a nomination for cinematography, and it should have won costume design. But whatever.

Also shame on the person in the RTM thread who said that it would have been better as a standard biopic. Shame on you.

• Like 4

rqTKRaG.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 84%

Box Office: 15M

This movie is an achievement. While not the easiest to watch, it is technically marvelous and its subject matter is incredibly though provoking. This is one you take home with you. The cast is fantastic, especially Andrew Garfield. Neeson was probably the weak point; it was a little odd to me how he was the only one who didn't even attempt an accent. But that didn't change too much. The whole thing is so beautiful and deliberate. It doesn't feel like a normal movie, and that's okay. I can see why this took Scorsese so long to make. His passion for it is clear, and it has turned out as one of the years best.  It's a shame how the release was kind of bungled or else I'm sure it would have been a more major player at the Academy Awards. I took two friends to this, both of whom hardly ever watch movies and they both were pretty moved by it. We talked about it for a long while after it ended.

• Like 5

VMXMrfK.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 97%

Box Office: 26M+

Moonlight is a beautiful film, both visually and in subject. The script is excellent and the cast brings out their very best, particularly Mahershala Ali. Janelle Monae is also amazing and I hope she keeps acting. The three act structure worked really well in my opinion. The third act brings it all together in one of the most emotional climaxes I've seen in years. Visually, this is probably one of the most pleasing films to look at that I've seen in years. I don't know what they did differently, but it felt really warm and rich, if that makes any sense. This movie was super good, and absolutely deserving of Best Picture. It's a shame that the screw-up took away this movies thunder, since it was absolutely deserving in it's own right, but now it is forever tied to a stupid blunder.

• Like 4

XREYdBj.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 97%

Box Office: 67.3M

Just gonna start this off by saying fuck drawing noses. It's so fucking hard. I gave up on this one, hence the round blob on the middle of Casey's face. But yeah. This movie was excellent. Casey Affleck earns that Oscar and then some. No movie in 2016 has made me feel as much as this one. Gut wrenching at some points and hysterical at others, Kenneth Lonergan's script balances it all perfectly. This is one of the only movies that have made me tear up. I really, really loved this movie. Worthy of all the praise. And so it is my number one film of 2016 of 2017.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

No, it isn't. Not the movie itself.

I mean the event of it winning Best Picture. Instead of getting their moment as the winner, they got the whole mess that occurred in its place. Barry Jenkins didn't even get the chance to deliver his speech.

Just now, AABATTERY said:

I mean the event of it winning Best Picture. Instead of getting their moment as the winner, they got the whole mess that occurred in its place. Barry Jenkins didn't even get the chance to deliver his speech.

I don't think he was supposed to give a speech. The producers were.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

I don't think he was supposed to give a speech. The producers were.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/moonlights-barry-jenkins-heres-oscar-speech-i-would-have-given-981581

But you could be right, it's definitely possible he wouldn't have had the chance to say his piece under the normal circumstances.