The Panda

Because Nobody Asked For It: The Panda's Top 250 Movies of All Time - COMPLETE

Number 85

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

latest?cb=20130914000612

"And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time, and lost in space... and meaning."

Most Valuable Player: Richard O'Brien for the Screenplay

Box Office: 112.9m (476.4m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 80%

Notable Awards: A Preserved Film on the National Preservation Board (was preserved before Star Wars)

Synopsis: A newly engaged couple have a breakdown in an isolated area and must pay a call to the bizarre residence of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

Critic Opinion: "The long-running outrageous bisexual-hipster rock musical film (1975) directed by Jim Sharman and based on the play The Rocky Horror Show by Richard O'Brien has become a staple of the pop culture scene and a one of a kind cult masterpiece. Though it started out being trashed by most movie critics and after a slow start gained popularity only when it hit the midnight circuit in NYC and it brought in a regular following of enthusiasts. According to Jim Hoberman and Jonathan Rosenbaum in their book Midnight Movies it wasn't until 1976 at the Village's Waverly theater did the "Rocky" phenomenon begin, when someone named Louis Farese Jr during the rainstorm scene where Susan Sarandon places a newspaper over her head, shouted out at the screen: “Buy an umbrella, you cheap bitch.” That was followed by cheerleader New York actor Sal Piro who became a regular at the Manhattan screenings and was an influential figure in encouraging members of the audience to attend dressed as characters from the film, which in large measure called for being cross-dressed in the lingerie that Curry parades around in the show. There were also people dancing in the aisles and singing along with the songs, which they knew by heart. They also brought along stage reinforcements to be used at certain points in the film - such as during the wedding scene rice is thrown, when the thunderstorm occurs audiences break out with their water pistols firing, and when the song There’s a Light is sung they wave cigarette lighters or flashlights. The film in due time attracted a substantial midnight freaky audience of young people, and eventually became an anti-mainstream event movie that earned its rep because of Curry's energetic performance, that it delightfully spoofed underground, horror and sci-fi films, the music was easy to sing along with, and the fun-loving audience made it into a love-fest ritual." - Schwartz, Ozus' World Movie Reviews

User Opinion: "I shiver in antici...............................................
...............................pation." - Telemachos

Reasoning: Yeah... This is on here, and if you want to criticize me for it, go on ahead, the rational side of me would frankly agree with you.  This is way to high on the list for me to put this movie, but I don't care, this is one of the flat out most entertaining films ever made (And it's even better when you're having the full experience and not just watching it at home).  The songs are all iconic, especially Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite, and you can't help but sing along the entire way through the film.  It's by no means a perfect film, hell I don't even know if it really is all that good of one, but it's one of my favorites so it's making the list.  I'd be lying if I didn't include this Rocky Horror Masterpiece, so come up to the lab and see what's on the slab!  I see you shiver with antici.....pation!

Decade Count:  1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 13, 1970s: 17, 1980s: 33, 1990s: 22, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1950s: 2, 1960s: 1, 1970s: 2, 1980s: 2, 1990s: 2, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

Rocky_Horror_throne_screencap.jpg

Edited by The PandAA
  • Like 2

Number 84

Doctor Zhivago (1965)

doctor-zhivago-movie-poster-1965-1010426

"There are two kinds of men and only two. And that young man is one kind. He is high-minded. He is pure. He's the kind of man the world pretends to look up to, and in fact despises. He is the kind of man who breeds unhappiness, particularly in women. Do you understand?"

Most Valuable Player: Freddie Young's Cinematography

Box Office: 111.7m (1.074b Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 82%

Notable Awards: Won 5 Oscars, nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: The life of a Russian physician and poet who, although married to another, falls in love with a political activist's wife and experiences hardship during the First World War and then the October Revolution.

Critic Opinion: "To create history as it was, to show the people involved as they might have been, through a medium both realistic and impressionistic, requires a continuous flow of imagination. Lean uses the medium both ways. He quite often employs wordless passages for transition or to highlight an emotional experience. It is a splendid way to capture the spirit of Russia, this strange, moody and elusive country.   Zhivago has been recorded on film in Panavision and Metrocolor, and never has the Panavision depth of focus been more ably exploited. The long shots, particularly, black figures against white mountains, etch themselves in the mind as background for the more intimate, colorful scenes that follow; double-imaging, it is, in a subtle corrosive process.  Maurice Jarre's score is melodic interpretation of the Zhivago spirit, with restatement of a lyric theme, as the poet doctor slogs through despondency and tragedy. Despite the grim and brooding background, Zhivago has a surging buoyant spirit that is unquenchable. Doctor Zhivago is more than a masterful motion picture; it is a life experience." - James Powers, The Hollywood Reporter (1965)

User Opinion: None??

Reasoning: I originally saw this movie when I was pretty young, probably somewhere around 8-10, and I was bored to death by it.  It's not a film based on excitement, and it's an older feature, so it's easy to see why.  However, I have since grown to have vast appreciation for this epic in its attempt to convey The Russian Revolution and the life of an ambitious man who chases love and finds hardships.  It may not be the most accessible of David Lean's epics, in fact many see it as one of his lessers (although I'd disagree), but it is a powerful and more intimate take at such a large political event unlike anything else in world history.  The cinematography of the film sets everything up masterfully to convey a mood and tone that provokes a feeling of Russia, of both the vast country landscapes and the people living in it.  The film is observant, sympathetic, and a bit loving in its nature.  The score is also one of the all-time greats.  This is a truly wonderful movie.

Decade Count:  1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 17, 1980s: 33, 1990s: 22, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 2, 1980s: 2, 1990s: 2, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

485677326_1280x534.jpg

• Like 5

Number 83

The Exorcist (1973)

exorcist.jpg

"The Power of Christ compels you!"

Most Valuable Player: William Friedkin for his Direction

Box Office: 193m (892.8m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 86%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: When a teenage girl is possessed by a mysterious entity, her mother seeks the help of two priests to save her daughter.

Critic Opinion: "It may be that the times we live in have prepared us for this movie. And Friedkin has admittedly given us a good one. I’ve always preferred a generic approach to film criticism; I ask myself how good a movie is of its type. “The Exorcist” is one of the best movies of its type ever made; it not only transcends the genre of terror, horror, and the supernatural, but it transcends such serious, ambitious efforts in the same direction as Roman Polanski’s “Rosemary’s Baby.” Carl Dreyer’s “The Passion of Joan of Arc” is a greater film--but, of course, not nearly so willing to exploit the ways film can manipulate feeling.  “The Exorcist” does that with a vengeance. The film is a triumph of special effects. Never for a moment--not when the little girl is possessed by the most disgusting of spirits, not when the bed is banging and the furniture flying and the vomit is welling out--are we less than convinced. The film contains brutal shocks, almost indescribable obscenities. That it received an R rating and not the X is stupefying." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion:  "One of the best horror movies ever made. Creepy, atmospheric, great music, great performances. Not particularly scary by today's standards, but I can imagine it being terrifying back in the day." - The Stingray

Reasoning: Maybe it might seem a little dated to some, but the Exorcist is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen.  William Friedkin is a master in this movie, making everything work and absorb you into the film.  The mood made through the lucid imagery created through cinematography and the atmospheric score sends chills down your back, and the thrilling scares are quite terrifying.  The film also isn't without pure entertainment value in the terrific screenplay.  All of the performers in the movie are great and show off some of the best acting you're going to see in a horror movie.  The Exorcist is an old example of how to make a straight horror film, and it also paved the way for so many of the modern horror films that we have today.  

Decade Count:  1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 33, 1990s: 22, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 2, 1990s: 2, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

the-exorcist-the-exorcist-34302941-1680-

• Like 3

Number 82

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

511AHRR6yKL._SY450_.jpg

"He chose........ poorly"

Most Valuable Player: Steven Spielberg's Direction

Box Office: 197.2m (427.5m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 88%

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar

Synopsis: When Dr. Henry Jones Sr. suddenly goes missing while pursuing the Holy Grail, eminent archaeologist Indiana Jones must follow in his father's footsteps and stop the Nazis.

Critic Opinion: "The story, set in 1938, follows the established formula of non-stop action and exotic locations as the Nazis struggle to keep up with the Joneses in the search for the Holy Grail. Jones Senior is a scholar (“grail-lore is his hobby”, says Indy), and he can bring down a Messerschmitt with his knowledge of Charlemagne. He’s so cool he under­takes the entire desert sequence in a three-piece tweed suit.  Jones Junior just hangs on to his hat and Jones Very Junior (played by River Phoenix) is Indy as a boy in the opening sequence, which has prompted women’s magazine cooings about ‘‘three generations of beefcake”.  The female interest is provided by Alison Doody as an archaeological Austrian tempt­ress; Denholm Elliott bumbles to perfection as Indy’s boss. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the most wonderful lark. It is also a class act." - Mather, The Telegraph

User Opinion: "The Indy movies are what movies are all about. They are a micorcosm of entertainment and as close to a religious experience, filmwise, as you can come. Raiders was a great beginning, Temple furthered the story wonderfully and Crusade summed it up beautifully. My life is richer because Indiana Jones is a part of it, and I know I am not the only one that feels that way." - baumer

Reasoning: The perfect conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever made, as there are only three Indiana Jones movies as far as I know and am concerned, maybe one day Spielberg will make a fourth one about Old Indy where he passes the torch on (hopefully not to somebody lame like Shia LaBeouf).  While, Temple of Doom took a detour into a more experimental type of adventure, The Last Crusade returned the franchise to the fun and grand feeling that made Raiders of the Lost Ark as special as it truly was.  Sean Connery is a fantastic addition as Indy's dad, and really livens up the story and adventure.  You should have seen The Last Crusade by now, so I shouldn't need to tell you that this film is a pure jolt of fun, laughter, intrigue and kinetic energy.  One of the greatest third installments to a franchise ever made.

Decade Count:  1930s: 8, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 22, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 2, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

tumblr_nrrswd8yiQ1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

Edited by The PandAA
  • Like 6

Number 81

King Kong (1933)

kong-33-1.jpg

"Oh no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty who killed the beast."

Most Valuable Player: Creelman and Rose's Screenplay

Box Office: N/A

Tomatometer: 98%

Notable Awards: Preserved by the NFPB

Synopsis: A film crew goes to a tropical island for an exotic location shoot and discovers a colossal giant gorilla who takes a shine to their female blonde star. He is then captured and brought back to New York City for public exhibition.

Critic Opinion: "If this glorious pile of horror-fantasy hokum has lost none of its power to move, excite and sadden, it is in no small measure due to the remarkable technical achievements of Willis O'Brien's animation work, and the superbly matched score of Max Steiner. The masterstroke was, of course, to delay the great ape's entrance by a shipboard sequence of such humorous banality and risible dialogue that Kong can emerge unchallenged as the most fully realised character in the film. Thankfully Wray is not required to act, merely to scream; but what a perfect victim she makes. The throbbing heart of the film lies in the creation of the semi-human simian himself, an immortal tribute to the Hollywood dream factory's ability to fashion a symbol that can express all the contradictory erotic, ecstatic, destructive, pathetic and cathartic buried impulses of 'civilised' man." - Hammond, Time Out

User Opinion: None

Reasoning: One of the most classic monster movies ever made, with one of the most classic monsters that has appeared time and time again in remakes and reboots, none of which have surpassed the sheer artistry that existed in this picture.  The film is a family fright affair, but more than that, it is a picture that delves into the soul and provokes a sense of empathy, making a tragic protagonist out the creature you're supposed to fear.  This is a movie that set the stage for so many other adventure movies, monsters movies and horror movies, it's a masterwork of filmmaking.  King Kong is a grand monster flick that manages to remain King of them all.

Decade Count:  1930s: 9, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 22, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1930s: 1, 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 2, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

kingkong33.jpg

• Like 3

Number 80

Forrest Gump (1994)

forrest_gump.jpg

"Run, Forrest! Run!"

Most Valuable Player: Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump

Box Office: 329.7m (679.4m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 72%

Notable Awards: Won 6 Oscars, including Best Picture

Synopsis: Forrest Gump, while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny Curran, eludes him.

Critic Opinion: "Sitting on a beach in Savannah, Ga., wearing a rumpled khaki suit and caring a small, battered suitcase, Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) looks like a gentle fool. He is, in fact, a former college football star, a decorated hero of the Vietnam War, a key player (if only of Ping-Pong) in the opening of China to the West, a millionaire businessman, a New Age guru and a confidant of three Presidents (not to mention Elvis Presley).  And “Forrest Gump,” the magnificent new film that Robert Zemeckis has made from Eric Roth’s screenplay and Winston Groom’s novel, is deceptive, too. What looks at first like a bright, bouncy and sentimental trip through the baby-boom era (the film moves from 1943 to 1983) turns out, on closer inspection, to be a dark and driven work, haunted by violence, cruelty and a sense of the tragically absurd." - Kehr, New York Daily News

User Opinion: "My new all time favorite movie. Damn, surely didn't expect such a great performance from Sinise (this is the first time I've seen him in ANY movie. I knew him as having a TV show, but not that he was Oscar Nominated). Great soundtrack, story (I cried like a little bitch many times throughout the movie), very likeable characters, and the end when he finds out that he has a son and wants to ask if he is like him, or smart, broke me to pieces.

Damn sad movie. I also teared up every time Jenny left AGAIN." - ChD

Reasoning: This film seems to have a bit of polarizing reception from, "I like it, but think it's overrated" to, "One of the all-time greats!".  While a few years ago I would have likely ranked this movie higher than I am now, that doesn't change the fact that I fall into the latter half of the opinions.  Forrest Gump is a beautiful and personal epic that looks at a man by random chance finding himself in so many remarkable historical moments, while also having various tragedies befall upon him.  It's a free spirit of the movie, and no matter what comes at Gump, he just keeps running through it all.  Tom Hanks is absolutely brilliant in the lead role, it's one of the best performances he gave in his career, and that says a lot given Hanks manages to give great performances no matter what movie he is in.  This is Robert Zemeckis' best film.  Forrest Gump is moving picture that takes you through an era.

Decade Count:  1930s: 9, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 23, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 22
Top 100 Decade Count: 1930s: 1, 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 3, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 5

tumblr_nkkah27SD11qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 7

Number 79

Her (2013)

8e1ff4de2ccee2aee03d087eb2e10fcf.jpg

"I think anybody who falls in love is a freak. It's a crazy thing to do. It's kind of like a form of socially acceptable insanity."

Most Valuable Player: Spike Jonze for the Screenplay (and his Direction)

Box Office: 25.6m (27.7m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 95%

Notable Awards: Won 1 Oscar, was nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with an operating system designed to meet his every need.

Critic Opinion: "With all due respect to Kanye West, Spike Jonze is a true genius. The writer-director (Being John Malkovich) has crafted a sublimely original film about human connections that feels personal — yet makes a haunting statement about all of society. In the very near future, lonely L.A. divorce Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) bonds with his Siri-esque operating system named Samantha. With the ability to read entire books in a blink, she's all brains. But Scarlett Johansson voices Samantha with such passion and humanity, it makes perfect sense when Theodore starts to casually refer to her as his girlfriend. This is not science fiction: As Jonze points out, our emotional attachment to technology is painfully real." - Reinstein, US Weekly

User Opinion:  "One of the most beautiful and heartfelt love stories I've ever seen. Easily the strongest film of 2013, and it had such a powerful effect on me while watching it. Years from now, this is going to be one of the most revered love stories of our time. It's just so painfully relatable. I think everyone growing up in the 21st century can strongly relate to the story here. The seamless combination of ambition and subtlety in this film floored me." - Noctis

Reasoning: An absolutely painstakingly subtle and real sci-fi drama.  It's one of the most inventive films that has ever been made, and yet it also never feels like a niche concept, but as a human romance and a careful look at the soul.  The film feels as if it could really be something that takes place in a few years, and the production and costume designs place the entire film in a reality that feels present.  The cinematography is beautiful, the score by Arcade Fire is surprisingly brilliant, and when the entire thing hits the concluding shot at the end the film really hits you.  It's when you realize what the movie is about, and how the use of the A.I. Romance was the tool used to help arrive to that conclusion.  There's some real, honest and biting critique on the state of human relationships in this film, and yet despite the criticisms it never feels like a satire, or that it's making fun of it, only showing things for how they are, laying it all out.  A brilliant piece of science fiction, that does exactly what the genre was intended to do in the first place.  Not thrill you with evil aliens or robots, but cause you to sit back and ponder for a moment.

Decade Count:  1930s: 9, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 23, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 23
Top 100 Decade Count: 1930s: 1, 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 3, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 6

schermafbeelding-2015-01-08-om-14-33-46.

• Like 3

Number 78

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

beauty_and_the_beast_ver1.jpg

"For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

Most Valuable Player: Alan Menken's Score and Songs

Box Office: 145.9m (302.5m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 93%

Notable Awards: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Synopsis: A young woman whose father has been imprisoned by a terrifying beast offers herself in his place, unaware that her captor is actually a prince, physically altered by a magic spell.

Critic Opinion: "This is the only animated film ever nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, and you’ll see why – it’s a masterpiece that blows away not only “Shrek” but every non-animated movie released in all of 2001 and 2000.  It’s got one of the all-time great movie musical scores – by the late Howard Ashman and Alan Menken -including such show-stoppers as the character-establishing “Belle,” the hilarious “Gaston,” the rollicking “Be Our Guest” and the haunting Oscar-winning title song, unforgettably delivered by Angela Lansbury." - Lumenick, New York Post (2001)

User Opinion: "I love a lot of Disney's animated flicks, but none of them come close to this. A perfect film. Gaston has always been my favorite Disney villain...." - CoolioD1

Reasoning: The first animated film to ever score a Best Picture nomination, and the only one to do it when the field was limited to five movies, and you'd be hard-pressed to make an argument against it being deserving of the nomination.  Although the live-action remake comes out today, it's hard to see any other adaption being able to be anymore of a definitive version of this classic story than this classic animated feature.  The music is lively, exciting, and every number and theme is memorable and iconic.  The voice acting is some of the best in Disney's animated canon, and the characters all have larger than life personalities that pop off the screen.  The story of the film is classically beautiful, and the best Princess love story that Walt Disney has put to screen.  Over twenty-five years since this movie came out and it still looks thoroughly modern and beautiful.

Decade Count:  1930s: 9, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 14, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 24, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 23
Top 100 Decade Count: 1930s: 1, 1950s: 2, 1960s: 2, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 4, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 6

beauty-and-the-beast-1991-belle-paige-oh

• Like 3

Here's the next Western!  Chaasmi was one off!

Number 77

Per qualche dollaro in piu (For a Few Dollars More) (1965)

Q_per-qualche-dollaro-in-piu_face.jpg

"Alive or dead? It's your choice."

Most Valuable Player: Sergio Leone's Direction, Editing and Screenplay

Box Office: 15m (108.2m Adjusted)

Tomatometer: 94%

Notable Awards: Number 104 on IMDb Top 250

Synopsis: Two bounty hunters with the same intentions team up to track down a Western outlaw.

Critic Opinion: "Sergio Leone followed up his international hit A Fistful of Dollars with this 1965 spaghetti western, continuing a trilogy that would end the following year with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A nameless bounty hunter (Clint Eastwood) and a resolute ex-army colonel (Lee Van Cleef) team up to capture a scuzzy bandit who's planning to pull a bank job in El Paso. Leone's artful editing of close-ups to communicate the characters' spatial relationships is always a pleasure, and here he unveils his stylistic signature—extreme close-ups of the characters' eyes—as Van Cleef surveys the villain's wanted poster." - Jones, Chicago Reader (1965)

User Opinion: "This is a must see Western..Any fan of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly needs to see this film as its a a classic Western...The film is a great improvment over A Fistfull of Dollars...The film has a great cast with Van Cleef and Eastwood playing quite well together. They make quite a team and face off against a rather cool and menacing Villian...The Villian is rather fun to watch to see how he acts.The film starts off with a bang with a super over dramtic duel with crazy organ music playing and such.The film settles down to a big plot about Van Cleef finding the Villian and Eastwood playing a double agent. You have tons of action with bank hiests, a big shoot out...The film then sets into a very emotional duel between Van Cleef and the Villian. Some people watch these films and say these duels are stupid... Why don't they just shoot each other...True, however its always a great sight to see the Villian finally face ulimate justice." - Lordmandeep

Reasoning:  While I absolutely loved For a Fistful of Dollars, and I tend to like to recognize the original in franchises over the sequel, I really have to admit that For a Few Dollars More is an improvement over A Fistful of Dollars in almost every department.  Leone really begins to come into his own with this film, honing his skills, and making a sequel that delivers everything that made the predecessor great, while ramping everything up a notch.  The villain of the movie, El Indio played by Volonte, is outrageously good, probably the best villain of the trilogy and one of the greatest villains in cinematic history.  Ennio Morricone also takes his score from a Fistful of Dollars and refines it all, creating something even more spectacular than the already great music in a Fistful of Dollars.  The close up shots, and the long, high-intensity takes of the showdowns is just absolutely insane, there's a reason I regard Leone as King of the Western Genre.  For a Few Dollars More is a definitively classic sequel, and one of the greatest Westerns of all-time, a genre cram-packed with greats.

Decade Count:  1930s: 9, 1940s: 12, 1950s: 12, 1960s: 15, 1970s: 18, 1980s: 34, 1990s: 24, 2000s: 23, 2010s: 23
Top 100 Decade Count: 1930s: 1, 1950s: 2, 1960s: 3, 1970s: 3, 1980s: 3, 1990s: 4, 2000s: 2, 2010s: 6

for-a-few-dollars-more-790x421.jpg

Edited by The PandAA
  • Like 1