WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I didn't even realize after actuals the 62.2% drop is identical to TASM2.

Must have missed that one.

Actually, ASM2 fell 1% less. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So according to some people SMH is the same quality as TASM2 because of the identical 2nd weekend drop.

We need to completely ignore critical and audience reception on RT though. That tells us nothing. 

/sarcasm

According to some, ASM2 is better than SMH.  Just saying.

Just now, baumer said:

But you're kind of being a hypocrite here a bit.  You're claiming that after ten days SMH is the most loved Spider-man film of all time.  Then you point to an audience score from one movie that is 15 years old while pointing to another that is ten days old.  I don't think you have the right amount of data to go on here.....but we do have a second weekend drop that set a record for MCU films.  ;)

A new or old audience score tells alot more about quality than legs imo.

It's not like the audience score drops 30 points for every movie after 15 years.

It's not like all backloaded movies are better than frontloaded ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So according to some people SMH is the same quality as TASM2 because of the identical 2nd weekend drop.

We need to completely ignore critical and audience reception on RT though. That tells us nothing. 

/sarcasm

Maybe you should get your head out of those scores .There is such a thing as a fan film.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not disputing that.  There's a ton of people who love the film.  I don't think anyone is denying that.  I'm just simply pointing out facts.  And facts are facts.  Nothing more.

You're using unrelated facts to support an opinion (SMH is supposedly average).

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

A new or old audience score tells alot more about quality than legs imo.

It's not like the audience score drops 30 points for every movie after 15 years.

It's not like all backloaded movies are better than frontloaded ones.

This is just the dead horse thing.  You like it and that's fine.  I didn't and that should be fine too.  If you want to compare audience scores to a film that's 15 years old to one that's 10 days old, I think that's really biased.  But what more can be said?  You will think what you want and everyone else will think what they want.  If you enjoyed it, isn't that the most important thing?

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Maybe you should get your head out of those scores .There is such a thing as a fan film.

The scores are one of the best indicators of how audiences and critics feel about a movie.

Which is why I don't spend pages trying to convince people that Blade is a top 10 superhero movie even though, imo, it is.

Just now, baumer said:

This is just the dead horse thing.  You like it and that's fine.  I didn't and that should be fine too.  If you want to compare audience scores to a film that's 15 years old to one that's 10 days old, I think that's really biased.  But what more can be said?  You will think what you want and everyone else will think what they want.  If you enjoyed it, isn't that the most important thing?

This is less about SMH at this point and more about what are the best metrics for movie nerds.

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It stabilize fast, but in the first year it can move fast

Amazing Spider man for example

Audience score

03 july 2012: 91%

07 july 2012: 91%

14 july 2012: 84%

22 sep 2012: 81%

January 2013: 81%

Today: 77%

It went 14% down from is second weekend audience score on RT, the first weeks are really influenced by franchise fan disproportional than later votes.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You're using unrelated facts to support an opinion (SMH is supposedly average).

Cat woman has a better July second weekend drop than SM:HC and it fell 55% in its third weekend.

If SM:HC has a similar drop then we could be looking at the same Multiplier or something close.

2.4x=281 or 2.5X=292

Edited by Brainiac5

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Which is why critics have more credibility than random people.

Ok, I'm done.  Sorry dude, I like you, I really do.  But this is the most idiotic statement I have ever read.  It's so baseless and useless.  You actually believe that just because someone gets paid to watch a film, I should like what they like?  My god that's ridiculous.

• Like 5

The scores are one of the best indicators of how audiences and critics feel about a movie.

Which is why I don't spend pages trying to convince people that Blade is a top 10 superhero movie even though, imo, it is.

Those scores are botched for these kinds of films.Nobody never knows what the film truly deserves .

Maybe R/T should do away with the percentage indicator and put the average rating up.

Which is why critics have more credibility than random people.

I used to feel this way but most critics online are from random websites and some don't have any real experience in film or knowledge of film and film techniques or even basic literary knowledge. It's changed a lot.  There's a lot of critics who really are no more than the opinion of your buddy which is fine if that's what you are looking for but I used to expect a higher base of knowledge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ok, I'm done.  Sorry dude, I like you, I really do.  But this is the most idiotic statement I have ever read.  It's so baseless and useless.  You actually believe that just because someone gets paid to watch a film, I should like what they like?  My god that's ridiculous.

I like you too, Baumer, but why should I believe a random person that Catwoman is better than TDK?

A consensus from people who love movies and professionally critique them has some value.

I know it's all subjective but if I had to choose between only watching movies with over 80% on RT and only watching movies Ethan recommends, I'm going with RT.

No offense, Ethan. :P

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean sure I can't back it up. Neither can you.

We can safely say SM2 is the consensus favorite and we'll say SM1 and Homecoming are the consensus 2/3 in any order.

Sure. Spider-Man 2 is the consensus favorite.  That would explain why it sold 15% fewer tickets than Spider-Man.  Less people went to see it because it was so much better,  Not that the actual WOM was that it wasn't as good as the first one (which is exactly what happened as it started it's run ready to crush the BO of the.previous movie only to see that momentum quickly dissipate).  

"consensus favorite"? I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

Yeah, the critics liked it.  Hell they also liked Spider-Man Homecoming which seemed like a movie in search of an identity to me.  Which only proves that critics and the public are not one and the same.

The only "consensus" is that Spider-Man 2 was better received than Spider-Man 3.  You can argue which of the 6 films is number 2 or 3 but the masses voted with their wallets and the choice for number one is pretty clear cut.

Edited by KGator

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I like you too, Baumer, but why should I believe a random person that Catwoman is better than TDK?

A consensus from people who love movies and professionally critique them has some value.

I know it's all subjective but if I had to choose between only watching movies with over 80% on RT and only watching movies Ethan recommends, I'm going with RT.

No offense, Ethan. :P

Because we all have our own opinions and taste in film.  I like Twilight way more than Potter.  Am I wrong for feeling that way just because critics and most people here feel otherwise?  

• Like 1