Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOOYAH SUCKAS

The Fifth Element (1997)

With Valerian playing in theaters right now I thought we could talk about another Luc Besson film, "the greatest sci-fi movie ever made". While it didn't do extraordinary numbers in america, it was a solid performer overseas and remained Besson's highest grossing movie until Lucy. I'm honestly surprised the film was greenlit with a 90m budget, must have been seen as quite the risk. 

It looks like Valerian will gross less than this despite 20 years of ticket price inflation and 3-D.

Fifth Element is a mixed bag for me. I really like the visuals, Bruce Willis and the story itself, but Chris Tucker ruins it. Hes the most annoying character of all time for me (and i liked him in Rush Hour). The movie gets 10 times better for me when i fast forward his parts.

The International take for 1997 is very impressive though. I think its still the highest-grossing european movie of all time. Or am I mistaken?

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

The International take for 1997 is very impressive though. I think its still the highest-grossing european movie of all time. Or am I mistaken?

Lucy and The Intouchables both made over 400m worldwide since (maybe some others), Taken 2 did 376 million, Taken 3 also was over 300m.

13 minutes ago, Twelve said:

This is Luc Besson's only worthwhile film.

That a bit harsh, it has been a while since I watched The big blue (1988) and Nikita (early 90's) but I remember liking them, and Leon the professional is certainly a worthwhile movie.

Screenplay wise the first 2 Taxi were a lot of fun.

7 hours ago, Bastien said:

Nikita, The Profesionnal, Le Dernier Combat, Subway... No ?

All of those except the Professional are garbage and even the Professional isn't all that great.