baumer

The Emoji Movie (2017)

Grade it  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

More fun than the prior feature-length rendition of this franchise, its brevity helps with the sheer wacky cartoon fun to be found here. Puppy! is a fun CGI short that plays with traditional animation slapstick hallmarks in a sadly promotional way. Infinitely better than what follows it though.

The Emoji Movie is absolutely horrendous. The animation is lazy, the voice-acting for the most part is dull, and it all reeks of a sinister corporation deciding what is best for humanity’s next generation. Easy morals executed in the worst ways possible and the most obnoxious side character ever to disgrace an animated film. The plot is an annoying combination of Wreck-It Ralph and The LEGO Movie, literally taking songs from both films’ soundtracks. These songs score Spotify and Just Dance! respectively, a part of the mediocre advertising that permeates the film. The only thing that marginally entertains is the subplot with Gene’s parents, which is also wholly predictable but at least amusingly voice-acted. Going hard on The Emoji Movie seems unfair; it’s been clear since its announcement nobody wanted this movie and it would always be the target of derision. However, after seeing the Internet’s least favorite film of the past year, I have to sadly agree with them. The Emoji Movie is a derivative bore that feels like active torture to watch. It could’ve strived to at least reach a “meh” quality, but alas, it only reaches the quality of the Emoji portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart. F

On 7/29/2017 at 8:51 PM, El Panda Machos said:

If this movie ends up with more reviews than The Big Sick or Okja I'm going to be very disappointed with this forum.

I saw all three so don't be mad at me fam

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

This might be the worst animated film I've ever seen in my life. It fails on every level possible. I'm so glad I watched it online and didn't pay to see it. "The Emoji Advertisement" gets a 1/10. (I hope the paycheck was worth it Patrick Stewart.)

Edited by afalconer7