the beast

Thursday Numbers #

for me personally, WW's biggest achievement is that it's the leggiest 100M+ OW / 400M+ total DOM grosser.

only those historical BO monsters can make its North America run look less than amazing. 

and yes, very much like with Avatar, some people here like to discredit WW's boxoffice result every chance they get by referring to the "quality" of the film (that it's merely a "bad, average, mediocre funny book movie").   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

I am too lazy but wish we had a proper list of this. Just off the top of my head :

- F8, Alien:C, Cars3, POTC5, TF5, Apes3, DM3, Nut Job 2 reduced. SW8 should decrease too (understandable). 

- GOTG2, AB2 are two sequels that improved. Hoping that Kingsman2 increases.

Lego Bat is a spin-off so didn't include it. JL like TA also is not really a sequel (In fact at one point it was ,and may be still, could be JL1).

hmm....Spider-Man: Homecoming could be considered an increase over the Amazing Spider-Man series

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But Batman Begins didn't make $300M DOM.

Yes it didn't. But kickstarted a new take on Batman that is considered to this day the best that the character has ever had. If Holland doesn't let it go over his head, he will be as big as RDJ is today ten years from now. 

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Well if you want to compare, I'd imagine WW compares better with movies that also opened over $100M OW.

Movies that opened much lower obviously have an unfair advantage over WW in terms of legs.

Sure, the size of the opening is a factor that will play into what legs the film has, which is one of the reasons why I list the opening weekends of the films along with their multiplier. I, and others, have talked about this (and other factors that influence legs) months ago when I first started tracking GOTG Vol. 2's legs, and then Wonder Woman's legs, relative to other comic book films. 

I'm not going to keep comparing Wonder Woman only to her fellow $100+ million openers, because Wonder Woman became the leggiest $100+ million opener over a month ago! Before that it also easily became the leggiest major ($40+ million opening) comic book film since Batman in 1989! I could keep reiterating those points, or look to further benchmarks for fun.

I think the list makes Wonder Woman look exceptionally strong as other posters have pointed out. It is an exceptional run for its genre, and I've spent pretty much its whole run praising its box office performance and breaking down how well it compares to other comic book films. 

Peace,

Mike

• Thanks 2