baumer

Ingrid Goes West (2017)

Grade it  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Damn and I thought I was done with horror for awhile. Ingrid Goes West is easily one of the most unsettling films of the year. The end definitely glamorizes something it shouldn't but at the same time it feels so fucking authentic that I can't really fault it. I'm not a fan of the instagram/snapchat culture but this made me feel even more paranoid about what I choose to make public through social media. That ending is going to stay with me for awhile. So haunting. - A

I mean, I would have liked it better if it was less of a comedy? It spends so much screen time trying to make us cringe in embarrassment or laugh at the situations that Ingrid puts people in, but the moment that sticks with you is when the movie sobers up at the very end. I wish the whole movie was like that instead.

O'Shea Jackson Jr. is a revelation. Hoping to see him in more movies.

5/10

The only thing I was wondering was how the hell the guy who played Olsen's BF looked like a young Kurt Russell...Then I google his name...Wyatt Russell. It's uncanny. Ice Cube jr and Kurt Russell jr should definetely do a buddy movie together.

As for the movie, it meanders, sometimes manages to hit on the zeitgeist's psychosocial consequences of Insta/FB "fame" but due to the subject matter and its obnoxious characters (that got to represent all the things I resent in Social Medias generation), it is as shallow as pathetic, alas it doesn't dig out that deep into it thematically and psychologically as much as a character like Ingrid could lead you on. It's a half-baked satire that lacks bite and feels too on-the-nose.

C+.

Edited by dashrendar44