YM!

The possible fate of Blue Sky?

With the news of the deal between Disney buying Fox loom and an announcement coming next week, while everyone is focused on Disney’s streaming service or the fact that Disney’s growing to monopoly size, I wonder the fate of Blue Sky Studios. Will it continue which seems the likeliest, will WDAS and Pixar split film rights or my more radical guess...

Blue Sky Studios is absorbed into DisneyToon.

- One because the Ice Age franchises along with Rio, Peanuts, and potentially hits like Pigeon Impossible and Ferdinand seem to be films that don’t fit in the Pixar or WDAS category and they can potentially make way cheaper films

- Two I imagine Disney wants another family film label. And there was originally a plan to revitalize it.

- Three with the floppage Of Cars 3, DisneyToon has nothing.

Since Disney can't buy Fox News because they already own ABC, shouldn't there be a limit on how many animation studios they can own now? Disney owns Pixar and their own in-house studio, Universal owns Illumination and Dreamworks...

I don't know if animation studio anti-trust law works the same way as network broadcasting entities, but I think if Disney acquires Blue Sky they would mold it into more of an offshoot of WDA/Pixar and use it for lightweight spin-offs and sequels. That may not sound very encouraging but I'd prefer it to keeping the Ice Age and Rio franchises running into the ground. Blue Sky's already kind of a "training ground" for a lot of artists who have ended up moving on to Disney.  

Edited by tribefan695

13 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't know if animation studio anti-trust law works the same way as network broadcasting entities, but I think if Disney acquires Blue Sky they would mold it into more of an offshoot of WDA/Pixar and use it for lightweight spin-offs and sequels. That may not sound very encouraging but I'd prefer it to keeping the Ice Age and Rio franchises running into the ground. Blue Sky's already kind of a "training ground" for a lot of artists who have ended up moving on to Disney.  

I was guessing that too with DisneyToon absorbing it to make Ice Age, Rio, Peanuts, Ferdinand and WDAS/Pixar sequels but uses future films in development at Blue Sky like Pigeon Impossible and Nimona at a way cheaper budget.

Blue Sky literally just greenlit an extremely interesting project for 2020, that being a film adaption of the acclaimed graphic novel Nimona (which is a great book). I would be extremely upset if this merger did anything to that specific film, because I feel like Nimona could go where Epic couldn't and knock everybody's socks off if they stay relatively true to the source material.

Edited by Slambros