SLAM!

Overcomer | Sony / AFFIRM Films | August 23rd, 2019 | from the director of Facing The Giants, Fireproof, Courageous, and War Room

Alex Kendrick, a prominent faith-based film director, has had his next film, Overcomer, dated for August 23rd, 2018.

Here is the IMDb synopsis: 

"This movie will unpack a pivotal issue in the life of students and adults alike."

Kendrick's films are well known amongst the community. If any one faith-based film will become a success in 2019, it's likely this one.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Neucentro said:

It's up, but does not seem to be heavily promoted online though.

That's a common problem among many of these faith-based films. Because grassroots word-of-mouth has worked in the past, that's what many of them go for, because it's one of the cheapest marketing options; however, we've seen how many times Pure Flix has sought the grassroots audience and ended up empty-handed. But if any film has that grassroots potential, it's a film from the makers of Facing the Giants, Fireproof, Courageous, and War Room. From my experience in the faith community, I'm sure of that.

Speaking of promotion,

I've seen that it's a common theme among the Crowd Reports Thread, and I've aeen evidence of it myself: Sony made an absolute genius marketing choice by attaching this film's trailer to Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse. This eliminates the potential issue of the film not being visible enough to reach the attention of the faith-based audience--a lot of people will be seeing Spider-Man over the Holiday break. So kudos to Sony for seeing this film's potential to connect with the faith audience.

This'll easily gross around War Room's total if not more than that with Sony fully committed.

• Haha 1

I thought the pairing of the Overcomer teaser with Into the Spider-Verse was odd, it got some unintentional laughs along with the runaway dog one. 

I went back and watched the teaser for War Room and it was equally vague: it didn't specifically mention the troubled marriage plot and you saw images of everyone, but only heard the praying grandmother's dialogue. So it will probably be the same way with Overcomer, the trailer will say what this is actually about and will probably get attached to the one that's being released for Easter, where the kid falls through the ice and lives...Breakthrough. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

Any buzz for this? @SLAM! do you plan on seeing it?

I think I want to see The Peanut Butter Falcon first, but I could see myself seeing this on Labor Day Weekend. It looks like Alex Kendrick's directorial capability continues to evolve with each film that he makes, and I would absolutely love to go support his new film. If reviews surpass my expectations, then that'll increase my desire to see it.

If grassroots campaigning really ignites in my church circle like it did with God's Not Dead and War Room, then I'll probably be seeing it anyway. I'll put in a review if I do.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, SLAM! said:

I think I want to see The Peanut Butter Falcon first, but I could see myself seeing this on Labor Day Weekend. It looks like Alex Kendrick's directorial capability continues to evolve with each film that he makes, and I would absolutely love to go support his new film. If reviews surpass my expectations, then that'll increase my desire to see it.

If grassroots campaigning really ignites in my church circle like it did with God's Not Dead and War Room, then I'll probably be seeing it anyway. I'll put in a review if I do.

A women's group at my mom's church got to see an advance screening of this back in the spring. The reaction was unanimous: they loved it. Mom told me they can be pretty critical so it's not like they were just blindly praising a Christian movie either. If you do catch it I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

• Like 1