kayumanggi

03.09 - 03.11 Weekend Estimates: 39.1 M THE LORAX | 30.6 M JOHN CARTER

how come when a movie like John Carter or some other type of movie like that is not doing well, people say it is because the movie sucks. But movies like The Vow or even Safe House didn't get great reviews either and those are doing fine. I just don't understand this.

Quality isn't always the issue. In John Carter's case, it's probably of OK quality, with mixed reviews and average to good viewer scores. There are more critically acclaimed movies that bombed even harder (Hugo is a recent example) and Razzie winners that are smashing successes. I do think, though, if John Carter was received critically and by audiences in the same way that Stanton's other movies were, then this would have a chance of great legs and making some money when all was said and done.

Quality isn't always the issue. In John Carter's case, it's probably of OK quality, with mixed reviews and average to good viewer scores. There are more critically acclaimed movies that bombed even harder (Hugo is a recent example) and Razzie winners that are smashing successes. I do think, though, if John Carter was received critically and by audiences in the same way that Stanton's other movies were, then this would have a chance of great legs and making some money when all was said and done.

It also just didn't look appealing whereas the other 2 did.

For the most part the quality of the movie itself is not really a factor for opening weekend. That has to do with hype, and nothing else. Hype can come from advertising, the franchise, cast, crew, etc. But quality of the movie barely has a role, except for those that check review sites. Quality only has a role on how hard a movie falls.