kayumanggi

03.09 - 03.11 Weekend Estimates: 39.1 M THE LORAX | 30.6 M JOHN CARTER

I'm kind of shocked Carter took in such a large 3D share.

It's really kinda saddening since the 3D in it was entirely useless. It's annoying when movies with crappy 3D have large 3D shares because then it gives people a poor impression of the technology. Like what Alice and Clash did to 3D two years ago. Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I didn't think people would care. Most 3D ratios are around 50% nowadays (Lorax did 52%), so it did pretty well considering I'd say.

It did.. But many times its easier for Disney to "convince" people to go see it in 3D...Thats a theory of mine and i´m sticking to it :ph34r:

Lol, BOM's weekend report is funny, they rip JC and Disney a new one. My fav quote from the article:

"The movie is called John Carter, but aside from the fact that he can jump far and looks good without a shirt on, what else did commercials really convey about the title character?"

:lol: :lol:

Edited by MovieMan89

Lol, BOM's weekend report is funny, they rip JC and Disney a new one. My fav quote from the article:

"The movie is called John Carter, but aside from the fact that he can jump far and looks good without a shirt on, what else did commercials really convey about the title character?"

There's nothing much else to convey. At the start he's a douche, by the middle he has no personality whatsoever.

Everything they said was the ugly truth.

Foreign markets, especially the fast growing ones like China, Russia and other asian markets really turn out to be a safety net for big budget blockbusters. 10 years ago "John Carter" would probably have been a financial disaster, now we're looking at a worldwide total of something between 300 and 400 Mio in cinemas alone. That's without merchandise an Blu Ray/DVD sales. It's surely not what Disney hoped for when they greenlit it, but it's far from being another "Mars needs Moms". Let's see, if it can manage to top $100 Mio domestic now."The Lorax" did a great job dropping just under 45%. It had a massive opening, so the 2nd weekend really mens great news for Universal. Who would have thought of "The Lorax" as a 200Mio picture after all those 3D-family-movie-fails last year? Just great."Project X" really surprises with its second weekend hold. Started being very frontloaded and now has a pretty good drop and should top the 50Mio Dollar mark easily."Journey 2" really has a strange run. One weekend it's getting massive jumps, the other week it's doing very strong week-numbers. It should top 100Mio now, but after this weekend it's looking far more difficult, than after thursdays numbers.All those february holdovers, there are so many hits. "Safe House", "The Vow", "Act of Valor", "Chronicle", "Woman in black",even "A thousand words" somehow managed to top Eddie Murphys recent family movie fails, allthough being on far less screens. Following Box Office means so much fun this year. Usually now would be the time to get very excited for summer season, but there's so much more to come the next few weeks, "21 Jump Street", "Hunger Games", "Titanic", "Wrath of the Titans", "American Pie 4" and even "Mirror, Mirror" and "The Five-Year Engagement" could end up as 100Mio grossers.And after that there's probably the biggest summer season ever and that without a Transformers or Potter Movie. 2012 rocks!

• Like 2

The OS will likely save John Carter from being a disastrous flop and maybe save some jobs at Disney. It's still not going to make money but at least it's not the next Mars Needs MomsGreat for Friends with Kids, it almost matched The Artist with far less screens

how come when a movie like John Carter or some other type of movie like that is not doing well, people say it is because the movie sucks. But movies like The Vow or even Safe House didn't get great reviews either and those are doing fine. I just don't understand this.

Edited by Shriekofthevulture

how come when a movie like John Carter is not doing well, people say it is because the movie sucks. But movies like The Vow or even Safe House didn't get great reviews either and those are doing fine. I just don't understand this.

I think people are blaming the advertising more then the movie.

I think people are blaming the advertising more then the movie.

Yeah, I was going to write this thing off as a Star Wars/ Avatar wannabe due to how the trailers looked. I remember seeing behind the scenes footage of this thing like a year in advance while waiting for the trailers to come on, and it still looked like some Star Wars wannabe. It was when people I know online went to see it, and thought it wasn't as bad as the critics claimed it was, plus having a chance at seeing the new Avengers trailer in 3D, on the big screen, enticed me to go see this. There were a couple of slow moments, but overall, the movie was very entertaining. Loved the Mars dog and ass kicking chick! Perhaps they should have shown those two more in the trailer?